Chapter 10

I knew we weren't going to be on the water that long, but it didn't mean I wasn't afraid of Lila. She wanted my blood on her sword and I couldn't stop it, and didn't have the power to do so. I couldn't help that Christian enjoyed spending time with me, and I didn't tell Christian, Val, or any of the other pirates. That's what they were. They weren't going to help me. I was on my own when it came to her.

"We need to talk." She stated, now two weeks out from the rainy island. We were both in her own room, on one of the lower parts of the ship. "I know I told you before we left that drenched island to stay away-"

"It's not my fault if he comes to me." I cut her off, stopping her rant. "It's not my fault Christian likes me more than you."

"That's not it at all." She denied it, crossing her arms and turning away from me. "I just think he doesn't know what he's doing; he is a little shy and just doesn't know people very well."

I scoffed at her accusation. "That is so far wrong I can't even believe you just said that."

"And you have a better one?" She drew her sword, but I had nothing. "You can't fight or defend yourself; it's the only reason why he follows you. So you don't get killed."

"He doesn't need to." I stated surely, raising my voice. "I can take care of myself perfectly well."

"Lies." She muttered,  sliding her sword back. "You don't have a sword or anything to fight with, and none of them will allow you to have one. I don't even know why you're here anymore."

"Is it your job to offend me or something?" I snapped at her, and she cocked her head up, crossing her arms. "Because I don't see why you need to do it."

"You're not listening to me!" She finally stated, and I was about to remark when there was an enormous raise of noise on the deck.

"Captain!" A voice I couldn't distinguish at the moment shouted from the deck. "There's something in the water!"

Lila and I made our way to the deck as everyone peered over the railing. I stood on the west side, seeing the shimmering dolphin tails gliding easily through the water.

"What are those?" Caesar asked, now an entire clan of them showing. We waited in silence, the only thing audible the sound of the waves lapping against the wood on the ship. We waited for them to emerge, but when they did, they were… human.

"Humans… with dolphin tails?" I asked, trying to get a better look. They had long hair, some curly, some abnormal shades of a rainbow. Their eyes were big with pale shades of blue and green, their skin fair and overall… innocent.

"Get back!" Val ordered forcefully, drawing his sword, and the other pirates did the same. "They're mermaids! Witches of the sea! Get away from the rail! They'll kill you!"

"What?" I asked stupidly, but only because I didn't believe him. How could I? They were just floating there in the water, staring at us. Their faces showed no expression other then the wonder in their eyes.

"Get the harpoons." Val ordered lowly, but once as he did, the blonde mermaid with the most golden tail in the center started shrieking. My hands shot to over my ears her companions joined, echoing the same piercing sound that could make anyone go deaf. "Grab the harpoons!" Val ordered again, and the pirates, with their ears covered, hurried off down a flight of stairs where they were stashed. They scurried back up with the spears attached to rope, handing them off to each other. I helped Aras and Johan with theirs, and once I looked over again, they showed their sharp teeth that could cut anything easily, and their eyes furrowed in.

"Kill them! Kill them all!" The pirates shouted simultaneously at them, and the mermaids started launching themselves at the ship, tearing planks off the side. Some even got their arms over the rails, but the pirates thrusted their swords at the screaming creatures.