Chapter 17

We came to the clearing, trudging through the snow as we saw the men on their knees in front of a fire that didn't give smoke. Christian, Lila, and I pulled out our swords as they realized who we were again.

"You!" Halcyon screamed as the villagers baked off severely, and Christian approached further. 

"Let the men go." He ordered lowly, and the crew's heads raised in unison.

"Matey!" Johan exclaimed happily, but the Indians behind them silenced their joyful cries.

"Kill them!" Halcyon gestured to the Indians as they started towards us, but as the rage in Christian's face appeared as quickly as it disappeared, there was a bird cry from overhead, and all of us jerked our heads up to see it. A brown bird with a pure white head and bright yellow beak soared, and they whole tribe silenced.

"What the-" I muttered as they all dropped to their knees and bowed, but they stayed on the cold, white ground.

"It's Him!" Halcyon pointed to the sky, dropped to one knee and lowered his head.

"What is it?" I asked Christian as I noticed his thin, wide smile.

"What we've been looking for this whole time." He stated, but as he gaped at the bird, I ran over to the group and cut the ropes that bound their hands and feet.

"Thank you." Aras said sincerely, helping the others up.

"Run back to the ship." I ordered, looking back at Christian and Lila. "I think we've got it from here."

"No, matey. You don't want to do that." Johan stated, but I couldn’t make them do anything. I ran back over to Christian as he grabbed one of the bows and arrows, aiming it at the bird.

"Christian!" I shouted before all the archers jerked up and fired at once. I ducked as I saw Christian go down, the red staining the white ground. "No!"

"Christian!" Lila shrieked as she held her sword out in front of her for protection, but everyone was still on the ground, bowing at the bird.

"That bird is sacred!" Halcyon boomed, shaking the surrounding area. "You must never shoot one down! It is wrong to kill such a creature!"

"Help!" I cried helplessly as I crawled over to him, held him in my arms as I yanked the arrow from his shoulder.

"Don't hurt him!" Lila ordered, looking at me stupidly. I'm not the one who shot him!

"Hell!" Christian groaned as I held his head steady, trying to cover his wound with what clothing he had.

"It's okay, you'll be okay." I assured as I leaned down and kiss his cold lips softly, but didn't wait for him to kiss back. "Johan! Aras! Colin!"

They ran over to us, Lila included, and took him from me, pushing me aside as they did. I jerked towards Halcyon when I felt frozen tears fall from my face, and they picked up Christian to take him back to the ship. "Why would you shoot at him like that!?"

"The eagle is a sacred animal in our village!" He claimed, but as I looked towards the sky, I saw what Christian tried to do. "It symbolizes what we had to go through to gain our-"

"Freedom." I whispered so softly, but I took action to get to the bird. I don't know if I needed the bird itself, but I was getting something off of it. Christian didn't come to die to just leave empty handed.

"Leave this place and never return." Halcyon ordered lowly, but I shook my head almost unnoticeably.

"I need the bird." I stated as it shrieked again, but as I tried to grab a bow, it flew west, and then out of sight. "No!"