Chapter 18

Patrick's eyes shot open and he tilted his head down, seeing a shadow of a man standing at the foot of his bed. Although the shadow had no face or any identifiable features other than the wicked grin plastered on its darkened head, the vampire knew exactly who that outline belonged to, and it was the man he never wanted to see again.

"Miss me?" The shadow sneered, walking over to the window and separating a few of the blinds to look out and down on the thriving city as people passed by, "On second thought, don't answer that. I know you have."

"How are you here?" Patrick inquired, sitting up with difficulty, a slight pain shooting up his back.

"Ashley is strong, I will admit, but she couldn't drive out someone as powerful as me," He boasted while returning the vampire's bedside, "I may not have a physical form anymore, but I can still haunt you, Patrick."

"Why?" He simply asked.

"Why?" The demon repeated, picking up the mug filled with blood. His face scrunched up in disgust as he set the beverage back down. "Because, Patrick, there is so much we still have to accomplish. I made your clan a promise, one to make them great again. I made an oath to  destroy Kenya and her pack, and I made a personal vendetta against Rachael." He leaned back on the wall and crossed his arms, though it looked as though they'd disappeared into his body. "But I'm still really hurt, Pat. You threw me out of your body before I could really have fun." It was evident he was angry, a bitterness to his tone as he spoke. "You and I could have had it all, we could have had this sad town - scratch that - we could have had the world under our control."

"I don't want the world under my control."

"Oh right, because the only thing you want under your control is your life. How's that working out for you?" The demon questioned, leaving Patrick at a loss for words, trying to formulate a response, "When will you wake up and see that the stability you want will continue to be a fantasy if you chose to keep those fucking imbeciles and Rachael in your life? They're your problem, Patrick, they cause you to lose control. You've given up so much for them and would do anything to make them happy, yet they still don't want to follow under your leadership." He rolled off the wall and approached the stiff vampire. "Pete is ungrateful and unpredictable, and you know he is capable of taking over your clan. Hell, he's capable of taking over the world, as long as it's on his terms. And don't even get me started on Rachael...oh, Rachael...she's with the other guy, after all you've done for her! After all the love and support you've given her, she still refuses you! So tell me again, Patrick, how's getting your life under control working out for you?"

"I can see what you're doing, but you're not getting back in my body," He protested with confidence, "You won't use me to bring the world to its knees."

Patrick made a mistake, but he learned his lesson, and that lesson was that he already controlled his life because he was his destiny; he made his fate.

"That's okay. I don't need you anyways," The demon retorted with a fowl expression forming on his blurred face, "You want to be done? Fine. You're done. But I'll have you know one thing - I may be done with you, but I'm not done doing what I sought out to do. However, seeing as you're weak and unreliable, I'm going to find someone else. Someone who won't be weighed down by their feelings. Feelings make you weak. Makes sense when it comes to you..."

"Go right ahead," Patrick urged him, "Thing is, I have my body back and as long as there is life in it, I will try and stop you. And I have an entire town behind me willing to stop you as well."

"Oh sure, because you're the town favorite, right? Everyone's willing to drop everything they're doing and help a little, pathetic vampire like you?"

"No, but Kenya hates you." With that, his face turned once again, but only for a second, for just one moment his face gave the expression of fear. For some reason, just by the mention of her name, he was crippled. "She hates my kind," Patrick went on to say, determined to figure out why he feared Kenya so much, "But you killed her alpha, and that makes you a demon with a target on your back. You and I both know she's relentless and won't stop until you're back in hell, and I'm going to help her - I'm going to help her with every inch of my being."

He rushed up to the vampire and grabbed him by his hospital gown. "Need I remind you that I was you, Patrick. They didn't know there was a demon inside of you, fulfilling your wishes and being the driving force behind your actions. They thought I was you, and although Kenya may seem to be on your side right now...once she remembers who you are, and what you did, she's going to hate you, more than she already does." The demon threw Patrick down on the hospital bed and scoffed. "I thought you were smarter than this, Patrick. There's a reason why we're sent to hell and why we're not allowed to leave. Because when we get out, we're fucking unstoppable. And you want to know why? Because we know our way around situations. We  know how to protect ourselves, and we aren't afraid to do whatever it takes, unlike you."

"Well then I guess we better make our move quick, while I still have her on my side," The singer spat.

He chuckled. "Good luck with that, Pattycakes. You're going to need it." And with that, he disappeared into thin air.

Patrick may have won this battle, but the demon was seeking to wage war.

The injured vampire wasn't free at all, instead he was trapped in another prison, caged in with Kenya. He was going to need her on his side, the only question was, how?