Chapter 3

Anthony jumped at the voice, turning around to face the young man who pounced and stuck the knife engulfed in his hand into the Alpha's stomach.

"No!" Rachael screamed, instinctively sticking her hand out and sending Tyler out of the room, crashing into the hallway wall and crippling to the ground. He picked himself back up and brushed off his pants, glaring at the two with red eyes before darting away.

The wizard went after the vampire while the witch tended to the bleeding wolf. The hole in his side allowed blood to pour out; it wouldn't stop. The witch's eyebrows furrowed together as she realized that the wolf should have started to regenerate after the attack. "Why aren't you healing?" She asked worriedly.

"Wolfsbane," He muttered, blood seeping out of the corner of his mouth.

"Fuck," She muttered, putting her hands over the wound and going to cast a spell in an attempt to reverse the effect of the venom when Anthony shook his head and pushed her away.

"You can't do anything, Rachael."

"Yes I can."

The wolf knew the end was near he could feel it. "Tell Isabella I love her."

"Tell her that yourself because you're going to make it." The stubborn witch clenched her jaw, closing her eyes and going through her archive to find a spell that would work.

Anthony coughed and gripped his side. "Tell her, please."

"No!" Rachael yelled, opening her eyes and meeting his gaze, "You're going to make it! Stop acting like you're not!"

"Listen, there's nothing you can do for me. The cut is deep, and if I don't bleed out, the poison is going to kill me," He explained, "Rachael, you have to get Kenya, because if they're willing to come after our pack, then they're going after her as well. She's our last hope, so you and Brendon have to get to her."

"We will, but you have to stay with me, Anthony. Just a few seconds more. I know I have a spell that can fix this!"

"Get to Kenya and protect her; protect Isabella and my son." Life was draining from his body but he had one last message to convey. "I'm sorry for what I did to you, the vampires, and Brendon. Halsey too."

Tears wavered in the witch's eyes. "Anthony, stop talking like that. Please."

"I hope you can forgive me," He whispered before letting his head fall back, his gaze drifting off into space. Rachael bit her quivering lip as her vision became blurred. She sniffled and swiped her thumb underneath her eye, anger boiling up inside of her as she rose to her feet. She tightened her fists by her sides and let out an ear-piercing shriek , her voice echoing through the house and even through the bayou.

Brendon rushed back into the room and noticed the limp body. His face dropped and he met the woman's gaze, her chest rising up and down and her lips pressed tightly together.

"Is he...?" Brendon began to ask. He didn't need to, though. He already knew the answer.

Rachael brought her hand up and pointed her finger at him. "I want you to tell me everything you hate about me."

The remorseful expression on his face contorted into one of confusion. "What?"

"Tell me everything you hate about me. I need to get angry, more than I already am."

"No. I know what you're trying to do and I can't help you trigger the darkness."

"Just do it, Brendon!" She screamed, "Please! He's taken this way too far!"

"NO!" He shot back, "I refuse to lose you to the darkness."

"You won't lose me, trust me! I've been practicing! I have it more under control now. Believe me, please!" Brendon shook his head. "Brendon, come on! Anthony's dead because of me, okay? The least I can do is take out the motherfucker who's behind all of this."

"You may take the demon out, but what about this pack? By using your dark gifts you're putting their lives at risk," The wizard stressed while grabbing Rachael's hands, "This town will be all over the news and that's exactly what Patrick or this demon wants."

"Well maybe he has a point, Brendon. Sure, the way he's coming about it is wrong, but he's got a point. I'm sick of living like this. That's why I left the coven, because I didn't want to be suppressed like you all were. I wanted to be me - darkness and all."

"If you do this, Rachael, you'll regret it and Kenya won't stand for it when she wakes up. "

"It doesn't matter. She won't remember me when she wakes up anyways. And you want to know why? Because of you, you and that fucking spell cast on her."

"It doesn't matter if she remembers you, this is her home and she'd rather die again before she sees it destroyed."

Rachael stared up into the wizard's brown eyes for a while before ripping her hands out of his and taking a step back from him. "Brendon, I'm giving you one last chance. Tell me everything you hate about me."

"I can't, Rachael."

The witch scoffed. "You know, if Patrick was in your place and he realized what was at stake, he would tell me."

"Don't ever compare me to him," He spat, "Because we are nothing alike."

"But you are!" She exclaimed, the corner of her lips perking up into a smile, "You're just like him! You're exactly like him!"

"You may be right, but there still is one thing you're forgetting." He poked his own chest. "I actually love you, and that's why I won't help you to do this."

"Rachael!" Someone called from downstairs, it sounded like Pete.

She brushed past Brendon, shoving him to the side, and rushed down to the first floor. Standing in the foyer was the man the voice belonged to. She smiled in relief and rushed up to him, pulling him into a hug. He chuckled at her actions and hugged her back.

"Hey," The vampire greeted, taking a step back but keeping his hands on her upper arms, "As soon as I heard, I came here. They sent me looking for you two. Halsey can't convince Patrick to back off. He's going to kill five wolves in the next fifteen minutes if you don't come out."

"Then I need you to do something, Pete," She whispered, her eyes locked on his.

"Anything," He replied almost immediately.

She smirked. "Tell me everything you hate about me."