5. I Know Your Games, Sweetheart

"Hey babe," I greet from the drivers seat as Brendon slams my car door closed.

"Hey." He leans over in his seat to give me a peck on the lips before I start driving on the road.

"I missed you," I admit to him. It's been four days since I've gotten to see him, and things have been a lot better. It's only been a week since we saw his dad, and everything is back to normal now.

"I missed you too," he tells me leaning his head back in his chair. "I'm so glad we can finally have some time to relax together."

"I know, work has just been crazy and stressful," I breathe out deeply.

"How so?"

I sighed, preparing myself to tell him the news. "The label says that if my song doesn't place anywhere on the charts by the end of the month, they'll put me back on the waiting list. I'll be kicked out of my apartment and replaced by another singer until they can bring me back up."

"Well at least you'll be on the waiting list if that does happen."

"That's the thing. Marcus says that if they put me on the waiting list, I'll never get off. There are plenty of people still on it right now. They are never brought back up, only replaced with more talent. The contract clearly states you must let out at least two albums with the label before it expires, that way if they keep people on the 'waiting list' they can't make music so they won't be able to sign to someone else without producing at least two albums. The label wants to make sure they don't let opportunities and talent slip through their hands, so you're career is basically over if they put you on the waiting list," I explain, trying to contain my stress.

"Well what does Marcus know?" Brendon scoffs and shakes his head.

"A lot, actually. You should really consider giving him a chance tonight, he's a lot different than you think." I roll my eyes.

We finally arrived to my apartment, taking the elevator up the eleven stories in the building in silence. But I felt more comfortable when I walked into my apartment to see Beth, Coby and Marcus sitting in the living room waiting for us.

"Well it's about time!" Marcus exaggerates, and I scold at him with a playful smile.

"Quit it!" I groan at him, rolling my eyes but I can't keep the smile from growing. I've grown so much closer with Marcus, our friendship is made of insults only.

"There's my princess!" Coby expresses as he winks at me, arm around Beth's shoulder.

"Hey! I thought I was your princess?" Beth glares at Coby.

"You've been promoted to my queen, don't worry," Coby coos softly with his face inches from Beth's. An amusing grin slides onto Beth's face as she leans her head on his shoulder and closes her eyes in pleasure.

I can feel Brendon's discomfort from behind me. He doesn't know that Coby and I are incredibly flirtatious with each other all the time. Beth and Marcus understand that it's all fun and games, but Brendon has not the slightest of a clue.

I let myself fall into the seat next to Coby on the couch, bouncing up as I do. He puts his other arm around me, and I imitate Beth. The couch sinks to the right of me, and I know it can only be Brendon.

"Look at you, Coby. You've still got it." Marcus giggles. "Oh, and it looks like Brendon's getting a bit jealous."

I immediately lift my head and scoot closer towards Brendon. I don't want to make him mad, that's not the point of my friendship with Coby. I look to him and see that he's looking away with a smirk, but I still notice his clenched jaw and the small shakes in his head.