Chapter Three

Kia's POV

After swimming around at the beach, Stark and I headed back to the house. We Mermaids don't live in the water anymore. We used to, but stopped when the Werewolves stayed at the shores, waiting to kill or poison us.

My family and I are the Royals. We are the ones to rule over the Mermaid population which has gone down rapidly and still is. We tend to live in large groups. My father may be the ruler over all Mermaids but he is unable to rule with all of us directly. My father chose leaders for each group and he speaks with them every other week.

"I keep thinking about mom and I don't think that there is any cure. What we could do though, is declare war on the Werewolves. We can get our revenge." My brother said as we were making our way home.

"Father wouldn't be very happy." I murmured, not liking the fact he had given up on finding a cure for mom.

"Father's never happy anymore." He pointed out.

"So you've given up on mom?" I asked with disbelief.

Hurt flashed in his eyes.

"Of course not. I could never do that. But no Mermaid has ever found a cure." He shook his head.

"No Mermaid, that doesn't mean the Werewolves don't have a cure." I said, looking up at him.

Hope sparked in his eyes and he looked at me.

"That's a really good idea. I'll go into town today and poke around the land of the Werewolves to see if I can find any information." He told me and I smacked him on his arm.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You think you're just going to leave me here?" I growled.

"You're staying here, Kia. I can't have you in danger. I'm not going to chance loosing you too." He says.

"And what, you think I want to chance loosing you? We're doing this together." I argued, holding my ground.

"Dad won't like it." He protested and I rolled my eyes.

"Dad doesn't like anything anymore." I mocked his voice from earlier in our conversation.

He scowled and I see that I've won.

"We'll get dressed and then we can go." I said and then I skipped into the house before he could reply.

I walked into my room and quickly threw on a pair of jeans and a tank top. I run a brush through my thick black hair and pull it up into a ponytail and then race back down stairs.

I waited for Stark but he never came down. I frowned and walked up to his room. When I opened his door, his room was empty.

My eyes narrowed.

He left me!

I jumped out of Stark's open bedroom window and landed on the ground without managing to break my neck.

I ran down the gravel drive way, leading to town. I saw a small hazy figure walking down the drive way ahead.

I sped up and was soon jogging up to Stark and stopped by his side.

"Never do that again unless you want your life to end." I threatened and he sighed.

"Will you please just go back to the house where I know you're safe?" He pleaded one last time but I put my foot down.

"No. I'm coming and that's final." I shook my head in defiance.

He sighed again but doesn't say anything and I smiled to myself.