Reunion

"Time to change time!"

~Max Caulfield

CHAPTER SIX: Reunion

(A/N: Do you guys like the length of these chapters? I'm really sorry if you think they are too long.)

It was...awkward. The silence that hung in the air was almost unbearable. It was clear of the elephant in the room, but for now, neither of us wanted to notice it. His loud and rusted truck sputtered down the road, occasionally giving off random pops that concerned me.
    I spotted an Elvis bobble head sitting on the dashboard. He was holding a guitar, his head frantically moving this way and that. I turned around in my seat, checking to make sure that Nathan wasn't somehow following us. I let out a huge sigh of relief, settling back in my seat.

I busied myself by pretending to be distracted by the cluttered junk in his car. Necklaces hung from the mirror, food wrappers littered the floor, and random papers filled the dashboard in chaos. He was silent next to me, gripping the steering wheel a little too tightly. I slumped into my seat, looking down at the ground.

"Man, Nathan Prescott is messed up..and dangerous. This day just never ends.." I glance a peek over at him to find him staring at me. I feel my cheeks flush as I turn my attention back to the ground. He doesn't seem interested in my problem at all, the complete opposite. I saw this coming, now I need to own up to it.

"Oh, and thanks, Mark!" He said angrily, shaking his head. Guilt flooded through me, all those years I never called him, all those years I ignored him. I looked over at him finally, resting my eyes on his appearance. I never would have recognized him in the bathroom, this morning.
    Five years has changed him a lot. He's not the same as he used to be..then again, neither am I. His fiery red hair was still compressed by his dark, blue, beanie. His black button up jacket and muscle shirt was still on, his bullet necklace hitting his chest. This time, his sleeved were both rolled up to his elbow, allowing me to see his tattoo.

There were vibrant, red butterflies scattered around arm, giving it the illusion that they were flying. There was a skull in the middle, surrounded by thorns and red roses.
    Patterns of red and blue painted the picture, overall giving it a beautiful and interesting look. I never would have thought of someone like Mark getting a tattoo.
    Now, I know things are very different from what they used to be. His piercings are still sticking out from his face, a steely look in hard, brown eyes.

"After five years..you're still Max Caulfield." I look down at my shoes, a frown evident on my face. I feel horrible for having done this to Mark, he didn't deserve this. I hunch my shoulders, hearing Mark let out a sigh.

"Don't give me the guilty face. At least pretend you're happy to see me." His voice had softened, his hands loosening on the wheel. I look up to see a smirk on his face, looking at me for an answer.

"I am seriously glad to see you. Oh, and thanks Mark. It makes perfect sense that I'd see you today." He gave me a sympathetic look, nodding to me. He looked at the road, the truck speeding down the highway. Everything passed by in a blur, everything coming together as one.

"Yeah, it's been that kind of day. So, what did that freak want with you?" He asked curiously, his eyes searching the road. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Hopefully nothing after today. So, how did you know Nathan?" He scoffed and shook his head, his jaw clenching at the sound of that prick's name.

"Just another Arcadia asshole...your friend really took a beat down for you." I winced, remembering when Nathan tackled him. I rubbed the back of my neck, hoping Warren was going to be okay.