Trust

Chapter 38:

I tapped my fingers on my leg as I sat in the lobby waiting for Chantel to come back. It's been about an hour or so since the incident that happened outside.

"Where have you been, Chantel? And what happened to your neck?" I heard a voice ask her meaning she was here. I got up and she saw me as soon as I looked in her direction. She looked away quickly and rushed away toward the elevators. I ran after her and caught the elevator doors just in time.

"Listen to me, Cha---"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She yelled as she pushed me on the other side of the elevator. I leaned on the wall and looked down. I sighed knowing damn well she had very right to be pissed off at me.

"Tel, I'm---"

"Don't call me that, you lying son of a bitch." Chantel said folding her arms as the elevator stopped. The doors opened slowly and she rushed out. I rushed after her and stop in front of her so she could stop walking.

"Move!" She said pushing me again, but this time I didn't budge. She frowned and started hitting me on my chest. I grabbed her wrist and held them down so she would stop hitting me.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean that for you, Chantel. Please believe me." I begged in a soft tone.

"You told me to shut the fuck up and then you put it up to my neck...how was that not for me, Antonio?" She said with tears in her eyes.

"It was for me. When you questioned me giving Camlia the address, I got mad at myself and took it out on you."

"I'm not your punching bag, Antonio." Chantel said frowning trying to snatch away, but I didn't let her go.

"I know...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." I said pulling her in my embrace. I held her right not wanting to lose her. "Please don't make me lose you." I whispered surprised at myself. I never wanted a girl to stay so bad. By now I would usually say

"Kick rocks then bitch! I don't need you!" But not with Chantel...

"Antonio...you promised." She whispered behind her tears. She had her face buried in my chest, but I could tell she was crying. "You promise you would never hurt me and you nearly did today." She said pulling back to look at me.

"Chantel---"

"Didn't you say that?" She cut me off and I sighed. All I could do was nod remembering that day. "Then how can I trust you?"

"You can trust me. I won't hurt you---"

"Too late, you already did!" She yelled pushing me. "Damn, Antonio you're just like any other low life that I've been with. They all say that and I thought you actually meant it." She wiped her tears. She started to walk away, but I stopped her again.

"Wait a minute, Tel. I'm not like those guys...not at all." I said passionately. "Please believe me, Tel." I said as I caressed her face. I wiped her tears away and she closed her eyes not wanting to look at me.

"Let me go..." She whispered with her head down. I picked up her chin and waited for her to look me in the eyes.

"Chantel, ple---" I stopped my sentence once she pushed me away and started walking away slowly. I turned around and watched her this time. I didn't bother to get her, because I knew she couldn't trust me again.

Rey's POV

"You look just like your mommy, Aleigha. Just like her, but not at all like me. You got the same brown skin, cute nose, and everything. But you got daddy's eyes..." I whispered to her as I changed her diaper. "You got the same eyes as your grandpa and your uncle, but you will not be like them. You'll be like me, maybe even better. I'll make sure of it, baby girl." I smiled at her after finishing her diaper. "As a matter of fact, you'll be like your mommy and some guy is gonna be as lucky as I was and fall in love with you...but please don't bring home someone that I'll have to kill."