(X) Chapter 9 (X)

"Father,"

The man turned his focused gaze away from the thick book that laid on his desk, its pages looked as if the book had been around for hundred years, and onto the young girl who stood beside his chair. He gave her a gentle smile when he noticed her virtuous (e/c) eyes flicker with uncertainty.

"What's the matter, princess?" He watched how her eyes earnestly stared at the old object in front of him. Unintentionally, the man promptly closed the book and pushed the said object a few spaces away. This suspicious action aroused the youngling's ongoing curiosity furthermore, along with numerous rambling thoughts being pushed into and out of her little head.

"That book," She started quietly, pointing a finger in its direction as if accusing it of intentional murder.
"You're always reading it," Her large eyes bore into his, like they were almost begging for an answer despite what the expressionless look on her face says.
"Why?"

That was one of the many things in which seemed to be separating her from a lot of kids. How whenever she was lost in thought or deep in consideration, her face remained void of expressions yet, her eyes withheld overflowing emotions within them. She was severely blunt with her words too during times like these, she was pretty mature for her age as well.

Her father's eyes darted from the book and onto the girl, still waiting for an answer to be given.

No matter, he couldn't tell her. This was something that he and his dear wife would have to keep secret from their own precious daughter.

"Father?" An angelic tone rang through his ears, instantly snapping him out of his cavernous trance. He once again smiled at her with the same gentleness.

"Ah- sorry about that kid. And, um, this thing?" He placed a hand over the book, "You don't need to be so worried about that, anyway, isn't it time for you to be heading to bed?" He inquired, for the girl to sigh, like she had given up with asking him. He couldn't help but to crumble inside when he saw the look of faint disdain on her fragile face.

"Goodnight then."

In return, he replied with a small 'Goodnight, princess.' that must've gone unheard as the girl had already walked out of his study, leaving him alone in the lit up room.

"I feel so horrible." A pair of warm hands were placed upon both his sturdy shoulders in a comforting manner.

"I know exactly how that feels, dear. But remember, we're lying to her for a reason, had she found out about all this,"

In assurance, the (h/c) haired woman's husband placed his own large hands over hers, the moment he'd heard her voice crack with disconsolation. Something he was similarly feeling as well.

"And that's why she won't. We can't afford to make that happen, ever."

The woman with similar features to their daughter tenderly wrapped her arms around him with care. He frowned at the salty drops of liquid splattering his shoulder. He got up from his chair and embraced her smaller figure, placing his head onto hers, allowing his wife to hug him back.

She didn't understand. She had no idea. Despite not having the knowledge, the little (e/c) eyed girl knew that from looking through the small gap that the door had for her, since it wasn't fully shut, that she found it even more difficult to fight off the urge to discover the truth.
She would even defiantly surpass the noxious risks which would obviously be waiting deviously for her, without a doubt.

💊💊💊

       "Slender,"

       The being looked up from the oddly familiar book and faced you with his blank pallid surface for a face.