Chapter 14- Meeting the unexpected.

"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." — Oprah Winfrey 

***

"What the heck?" I speak to myself as I stand outside of my mahogany door when I see bouquets of roses sitting on my doorstep. By bouquets, I am talking about many of them.They are about twenty bouquet of roses, I suppose as I count them roughly. If I haven't been any careful, I would accidentally kick one of them off the staircase.

I wonder where they came from. Someone dropped them off, I suppose. I am going to find out about it one way or another. With that, I call the security and talk to one of them.

"Hello?" I greet the person behind the line. My bad, there are just too many people working in my house that I get their name messed up sometimes. 

"Good morning, Miss Grainger." Well, that's unfair. They remember my name. 

"I was wondering who sent the bouquets of flowers in? They are tons of them that it is ..." I think of a suitable word to describe, but nothing comes to my mind. "You just have to see it yourself, then you'll  know what I mean." I say, chuckling.

"It was sent by the florist service in town. I have no idea who it may be from but we have a record of the florist." 

"Oh? It's okay then. I think they have some card in one of the bouquets, I'll just have to -"I cringe at the thought, "check everyone of them. Thank you, uhm.."

"Carlos. It's Carlos, miss." 

"Yeah, thanks Carlos. Have a good day." 

"You too, miss." I put the cordless back into its holder.

After searching through each and every bouquets, I come across nothing at all. I  even hurt myself because of the thorns on the stalk of roses. I give up as soon as I feel like it's a waste of time. Since I am the only person at home, except others who are working here, it can't be for my grandma who is currently in China. As for the pitiful roses, I finally settle down with putting them in vases on the dining table.

I skip school today because I am way too tired to do something as exhausting as going to school. I want to do no homework, I want to see no Alexander effing Wright. I spent the past two hours working out in the gym overlooking the vast field, outstretched for miles behind my house after the quest for a card. My friends are still at school- may God bless them, while I am currently swimming in the indoor pool underground. Honestly, today is the day where I have done most sports in a day span. At least, I wish I do lose some weight.

Suddenly, the watch jingled indicating I have an incoming call. I swim out of the water and accept the call with a tap. Zavanna's voice booms out from the speaker installed in each and every corner of the room. 

"Why on Earth did I not see you in school, Irea?" She sounds irritated.

I climb out from the pool and sit on the ground. I grab the nearest towel and wrap myself in it.

"Well, I was tired," I half-lie, "and I don't want to."

"I baked your favourite cookies just to find out that you're not at school. And now, Zach is about to finish it all -" I listen. "-Zach, get your hands off my cookies!"  I laugh as I imagine the scenario in the cafeteria right now.

"Are you guys having a break now?" I ask, putting an end to my speculation.

"Yeah."

"You know, I am going to see you later. So, I'll talk to you soon. Bye!" She strings her sentence faster than ever before. I believe someone is really annoying her right now. "Skyler, give it back to me!" I laugh as the phone call ends.