Chapter 10

Lauren POV:

My eyes bulged out when the picture popped up on my screen. I had to zoom in to even double check it it was Camila. Well damn!! I tried to cover my red cheeks by pulling my hoodie closer.

"What did she send you?" Normani poked her head from the book she was reading. We were currently at her house and revising for our math test tomorrow at least what we were supposed to be doing.

"NOTHING!! NOTHING" I quickly locked my phone and got back to my math question. Normani rolled her eyes and got back to reading her notes. I immediately opened my phone and started to move my fingers to reply.

Me: "HOLY SHIT!!!"

Camz: "well I guess you like it then 😂. "

Me: "No emoji!"

Camz: "fine emoji police!"

Me: "BUT DAMN CAMZ!! WHAT A CHANGE!!"

Camz: "dinah said I really needed one so I guess why not. I need a change once in a while to move on from the past. After Austin I really needed a change."

I rolled my eyes when I read his name. Honestly what an asshole! Who would give up something as precious as Camila? I know I wouldn't! I mean....you know...you know what I meant!!

Me: "I'm glad you finally took the chance for a change. That's life you know? You need to close your eyes and venture out. For all you know there is an adventure out there."

Camz: "up?😂"

me: "up do you watch Disney?!"

Camz: "I wear bows...DUH! Or used to."

me: "well I should have guessed! So tell me about your life camz!"

Camz: "I can't give a pretty picture but life's hard"

me: "life's a climb but the view is great"

Camz: "did you seriously quote Hannah Montana? 😂"

me:" yeah.... Honestly everyone should learn something from Hannah Montana!"

Camz: "sure sure 😂"

me: "let me tell you more about myself! I study in Miami high senior year. Trying to pursue arts in the future. I have 2 best friends Normani and Bea! They already know you 😂. And....IM GAY!"

I crossed my fingers hoping that she's not a homophobe. That would ruin everything.

Camz: "HI GAY! I'M DAD!"

Me: "HELLO DADDY!!"

Camz:"should have seen that coming now I'm going to shut up..."

I couldn't help myself but giggle and received a glare from Normani.

Me: "serves you right for that terrible joke"

Camz:"well excuse me!! My jokes are funny!! I'm offended rn!"

Me:"hey don't use abbreviations! They portray laziness and is just an informal habit"

Camz: "U dnt lyk dis?"

Me: "AHHHHH STOPP"

Camz: 'stp? I wnt stp!"

Me: "okay I'm leaving you.bye Felicia!

I locked my phone and smiled when I saw the messages pop up on the screen. I'll reply later but math first! I quickly got back to my nerd alter ego "lern" an inside joke between me,mani and Bea.

Camila POV:

Me:" lolo?"

Me:"LOLOLOLOLOLO?"

Me:" I'm srry!"

I giggled to myself and dropped my phone to my side. Even after these 10 years I never felt a space between us. It was as if I met her just yesterday. As if it was just yesterday I left her embrace.
I suddenly heard the living room door banging open and I flinched at the way it was shut.

Dad must be home....I said to myself and checked my watch. I was 9pm so he's still early I guess. I never get to see him much only sounds of doors opening and closing but I was surprised to find my mom rushing into my room grabbing my hand tightly.

"Mama! What's wrong??" I gasped when I realised she was crying. I made her sit on the bed and pressed her hands together. "Is it papa? Did he hurt you again?" I asked with concern.

"No Mija" she sobbed between the words "it's your abuela.. she's not doing well Mija!" She sobbed into my shoulders while I stroked her back gently.

"Mama....please tell me she's going to be alright" I lifted her head from my shoulders looking into her eyes trying to find a glimpse of hope.

" I dont know.... I don't know....." She shook her head and wiped her eyes with her palms.

"Mama? Camila?" Sofi's voice was heard as she walked into my room. She rubbed her eyes and was dressed in her onsie.

"Why are you both crying?" She tilted her head watching us both.

"We need to leave for Cuba..." I looked at mama who just nodded her head. "Mama...don't worry she'll be okay nothing is going to happen" I promised her but I know abuela has Parkinson's and the end is nearly here. But somehow the words had an effect on my mom and she got up from the bed and bent down to talk to sofi. "Sofi we are going for a vacation! Go pack your best clothes" she faked a smile and it broke my heart to see sofi fall for that sweet lie as she smiled and left to pack her clothes.

Mama turned towards me and gave me a weak smile before walking out of my room.

I felt my tears drip down my cheeks after holding it all in for all this time. Abuela....

*Flashback*

"Mija! Don't play near the sea!! It's dangerous" abuela ran behind me as I walked towards the sea. I whined when she grabbed my hand and stopped me from diving into the water.

"I can swim abuela! I learnt it this summer in Miami! Lolo taught me!" I whined as she dried my hair with a towel.

"Mija dont scare me like that! We can always stay in the land and watch the sunset" she gently tugged my nose making a funny expression which made me laugh.

"Okay! But let me show you something abuela!" I grabbed a sea shell which was lying on the shore and held it close to her ears.
"Listen closely! You can hear the music of the sea" I whispered as she held the shell close to her ear. "Yes I can Mija" she took my hand and gently kissed it.

"It's Beautiful" she smiled and held the shell tightly in her palms as we watched the sun set.

*End of flashback*

I quickly wiped of my tears and got up to book tickets on my laptop. I took the quickest one available and took out my phone to text Lauren.

To lolo:

Me: Lauren.... my grandmother is not feeling very well so I'm leaving for Cuba tomorrow and I won't be texting you much from there I'm sorry. But I'll try my best to have contact. But all I really need right now is just all the time in the world to spend with her. I hope you understand.

I sent the message and ran my fingers through my hair is frustration. "Please hold on abuela...please hold on until I get there. Please I beg you God"

I screamed into my pillow trying to control my tears."It's gonna be fine! She's gonna be okay they're all lying! They're all lying she's gonna be fine!" I promised myself as exhaustion hit me and I floated towards a deep slumber.

"Please..... Please I'll do anything. Just hold on" I whispered as I drifted off to sleep.

HEY GUYS!! THIS CHAPTER IS MORE EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO ME AS IT'S WRITTEN OF MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE IT AND ALWAYS SPEND ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD WITH YOUR FAMILY BECAUSE FAMILY COMES FIRST AND YOU'D NEVER HAVE A SECOND CHANCE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN....

xoxoxoxo
Alex (co-writer)