thirteen » the greatest honour

» the picture up there was originally how I had imagined Melanie to look, but I think kiersey clemons does her justice! (picture credit to cassandracalin on instagram)

» » »

The evening everybody had been waiting for was finally here. It was 7pm on Christmas Day, the Avery family was getting ready for the dinner party at Malfoy Manor.

Mr. Avery was straightening his black tie, Mrs. Avery was putting an earring on while Marcy was putting her shoes on.

"Why did I choose to wear heels?" Marcy groaned.

Melanie gave a short laugh. "I'd wear trainers if I could."

"Well at least you aren't wearing high heels, and anyway, you could pull off trainers. Your dress is long, it covers your feet."

"I could, couldn't I?" An idea formed in Melanie's mind, making her search through her wardrobe for black trainers.

"Really?" Marcy asked, laughing when Melanie came back into her room with her dress and black trainers on.

Melanie nodded, grinning. "Brilliant idea, right?"

"Definitely, now come here, I'm going to do your makeup this time." Marcy pulled Melanie in front of the mirror.

Melanie sat down, closing her eyes as Marcy started on her makeup.

"You're lucky you don't have a lot of acne, just a few pimples." Marcy remarked, putting foundation on. "I had horrible acne when I was your age."

The two talked about Marcy's Hogwarts years while Marcy was doing Melanie's makeup. Marcy was only three years older than Melanie, so her Hogwarts years weren't exactly far away. She had graduated in Melanie's fourth year, now she was at home usually doing nothing.

"Miss Melanie and Miss Marcelline, Master Avery is summoning you. Master says it is time to leave," Macy the house elf told the girls after knocking on the open door.

"Okay, we'll be right down," Marcy replied.

The elf stood there, waiting to be dismissed.

"Go!" Marcy waved her hand, dismissing the house elf.

"Ugh, they can be so stupid," she said after Macy left.

Melanie nodded. "Are you done?" she asked, gesturing to her face.

"Oh." Marcy looked at Melanie's face to see if everything was complete. "Yeah," she said, standing up.

Melanie stood, brushing her hands over her dress and reaching for the cloak she was going to wear over her dress.

"I still can't believe you're actually going to wear trainers to a party!" Marcy laughed as the two sisters descended the stairs. Their parents were already downstairs in front of the front door, waiting.

"Took you two long enough," grumbled Mr. Avery. "We're going to be late!"

"Hold on to your sister, Melanie," Mrs. Avery reminded her before they Apparated to the outside of Malfoy Manor.

Malfoy Manor was a huge mansion, much like the haunted Muggle mansions in book. The exterior seemed to be reflecting the nervousness Melanie held.

Melanie took deep breaths as the family of four walked down the long path to the front door of the manor. Marcy squeezed her younger sister's hand while Mrs. Avery gave the two sisters a reassuring smile.