Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

His world seemed to slip from his feet when he saw it was her last letter to him. He just couldn't fathom the fact that the last thing that she had left for him. The last letter. Now he had to face the bitter reality and live in a world where Qamar was no more. He didn't know how life would be after this, sure he had neglected her but then he had known that she was still alive and breathing, waiting for him. Maybe all this was a punishment, he never cared much when she was alive and around; waiting for him. Now he wanted to be there for her but she wasn't. She wasn't alive anymore, she wasn't waiting anymore. Now he had to live in a world where Qamar no longer breathed. He held his pen in his shaking hand and turned the page to write something when he heard a very familiar voice say, a voice he hadn't heard in a very long time,

"What are you doing here?" He turned along to find Hamza standing ta few feet away from where he sat, with a murderous expression on his face; his hands clenched in his fists, his veins popping out.

"Hamza? I came here to see Qamar." He said holding in his tears that wanted to break out when he said her name.

"Oh so you finally remember your other wife? That is nice to know Ameer for I thought you were suffering from amnesia." He said sardonically.

"Look Hamza I have no energy left to fight with you. I know I wronged her, I claimed to love her but my actions never showed love. I don't deserve her neither do I deserve her love. But I need her Hamza." He said his shoulders dropped down like the pressure of the world was upon him.

"Look Ameer I don't whether you loved her or not. But I can't let you meet her, because I know you are never going to visit her after this." He said pinching his nose.

"Let me see her one last time Hamza. Just once, I'll give up washing her body even though she wanted me to wash her when she left this world. But please do not deprive me of having a last look of her face. I need to see her." He pleaded.

"Last time? Wash her body? What are you blabbering Ameer?"

"You don't know? Qamar is gone, she is no more." He said breaking down.

"No.... But how can that be? I just spoke to her a while ago. She asked me to bring a book for her. No this can't be, she has to be alive." Hamza said, the shopper falling out of his hands.

"She is not Hamza. She is gone. She has left us." He said trying to control his tears.

"No you are lying. She can't be dead. You are lying Ameer." He said tears threatening to fall down. He turned about and ran towards the nurse station. Ameer shook his head and slid down the floor sobs wrecking his body. He wanted to go with Hamza, for he hoped that what Hamza turned out to be true. But he knew it wasn't, his Qamar was gone. And he didn't have the strength to hear it once more. As much as he didn't want to he wished that somehow his Qamar was alive now. He wished Hamza would come with the news that what he heard was wrong, and that she really was alive.

"Alhumdulillah." He heard Hamza saying. He got up from the floor and looked at him, only to find his face glowing with joy.

"What happened Hamza?" He asked, his hopes arising.

"She is alive, Alhumdulillah she is alive." He said tears flowing out.

"Alhumdulillah. Alhumdulillah, Oh Allah I'm so grateful to you." Ameer said murmuring Alhumdulillah silently.

"Who told you that she passed away?" Asked Hamza

"I don't know, I had come to meet her when one of her friend came out from her room and told me that she is dead. I don't know who she was." He said.