Flowers and Weeds

I roll out of the room quickly and into the hallway. All this time I thought I've been getting better. The tears run down my face as I roll into the elevator. I press the number one as the tears start blurring my vision. I try to compose myself, but the tears fall harder with each breath. I roll out of the elevator, going in the opposite direction of the game room. 

"Avia?" I hear Gavin's voice, as he walks out of the bathroom next to me. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Did you know?" I ask him, the tears fall faster.

"Know what, Av's?"

"I have to get a blood transfusion!" the tears fall faster. It's one thing to think about it, but another to say it out loud.

"Avia, I had no idea!" he was hugging me now. "I'm so sorry! Hey, why don't we go meet up with the others okay?" I nod my head, and we head to the game room. Gavin takes out his phone, and begins to type something.

"What are you doing?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Making sure Mom and Dad know you're okay." he puts his phone back in his pocket.

"I wasn't supposed to know." I blurt out. Gavin looks at me, confused. "I rolled in on them talking about it. They weren't going to tell me yet. I wasn't supposed to know." the tears subside as the others come into view. I hug Gavin, and roll to a table where a puzzle sits. I feel something soft on my head, and look up. Gavin has a bunch of Santa hats for us. "Thank's, Gavinator."

§§§ Time skip 1 hour§§§

I sit in my wheelchair, looking proudly at my finished puzzle, when the Chemo effects hit my body hard. A wave of neausa hits me, and I feel something rise in my throat.

"Gavin! Avia's going to throw up!" I hear Braille say. Gavin rushes over with a bucket, and I empty my stomach into it. I'm stuck there, coughing into the bucket for what feels like hours. Tears run down my face, as I pray for it to be over.

Gavin's POV

I rub circles on Avia's back, trying to soothe her, she begins to cough, a sign that it'll be over soon.

"Shh, Av's, shh." I try to soothe her. She begins to heave again. Her small frame shuddering. She looks up at me, her brown eyes filled with tears. She doubles over again, heaving into the bucket. She lifts up again, her pale face tear stained.

"Can we go back to the room? I'm tired." She asks weakly.

"Sure Avia, of course we can." I push her chair back to the room. I can hear soft snoring, signalling that she has fallen asleep. I knock on the door, pushing Avia in when it opens. Mom gasps at the sight of her.

She lies limp in the chair. Dad helps me lift her from the chair and into her bed. Emmi rolls in behind us, the others closely following, Braille carrying Daxton. Brock crying, is in Mom's lap. I walk toward them.

"Hey buddy, what's wrong?" I take Brock from Mom, and hold him close to me.

"I- is Avia gonna b- be oka- ay?" He sniffles.

"Of course, buddy," I pull him closer to me. "Avia's just sick, buddy. That's all, she's really sick."

Emmi pulls herself up into her bed, gently.

"Give him to me." she motions for Brock. I set him on her bed. "Hey bud, listen. Avia and I have something called cancer. You can't get it from us. It's kinda like if our bodies were gardens. All the healthy parts are flowers," He nods his head. "Now, weeds are sprouting in our gardens, and hurting our flowers. The medicine kills the weeds and helps the flowers. Sometimes, they have to replace some of the flowers in our gardens, because the weeds killed them. You understand?" Emmi explains as Brock nods. I stare at Emmi in wonder.

"How did you do that?" I ask, Brock has stopped crying and is now watching Power Rangers on the t.v.

"How'd I do what?" she asks sleepily.

"Explain it to him like that."

"Well, that's how I think of it. If you really think about it, it sorta makes sense." she shifts in the bed and curls in a ball.

I look to Avia and notice her thumb has snuck it's way into her mouth. I sigh, and sit in a chair, wondering how all this could happen to us. I have two sisters and two brothers. I'm the oldest of five. My two little sisters might not live to get to middle school. One will only have one leg and the other blodd inside her that isn't her's. Their childhood has been stolen from them. Their lives as kids are gone. Scariest of all, I can't fix it, I can't protect them from this.