Trial and Error

Newt sat down next to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder for sympathy. I winced in pain. He rested his hand on one of my wrapped cuts. He quickly noticed it bothered me and put his arm down.

"So...is the trial the same place as last time?" I asked, looking around the Glade for a certain devil child.

"Yeah. Except the trial is for how we should punish you for going in the Maze without being a runner." He said.

"But that kid shoved me in while the doors were closing! You have to believe me." I yelled, putting his hands in mine. He glanced down at our hands and looked back at me.

"What kid?" He sighed.

"The new Greenie! There's something wrong with him. Come on, you know I wouldn't lie to you." My voice began to shrink and crack. Newt tried to keep my hands from shaking.

"(Y/n), I have no idea what happened in that Maze. Trust me, I want to believe you, but it doesn't make sense. Why would he even want to hurt you?" Newt questioned.

I could see the doubt in his eyes. He thought I was making all of this up. Tears stained my cheeks and my vision became blurred. He reached out and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"(Y/n)..." he mumbled, clearly feeling bad about what he said.

He pulled me into a tight hug.

"Cry as much as you need. I'm right here. It's okay." He whispered into my ear. I dug my face into the crook of his neck and cried. He rubbed my back when I started whimpering.

"I'm sorry to break up your heartfelt reunion lovebirds, but it's trial time." Alby's stern voice boomed as he walked over.

He pulled Newt up from the ground and shoved him, telling him to get to the homestead and prepare for the trial. Knowing he'd been giving me an icy stare of disappointment, like usual, I walked away with my head down to avoid eye contact.

I walked to the homestead by myself. I really hoped Newt could've been there with me, holding my hand for reassurance. I walked inside an everyone's eyes were on me. A particular set of eyes caught my interest. The icy stare of the Greenie. I stopped in my tracks and met his stare. An uncomfortable aura came upon the homestead while we glared at each other. You could tell by the look on everyone's faces. I snapped out of my uncalled for staring contest and continued walking. I stood in front of the boys and saw Newt. He gave me a confident smile.

I started to explain what happened and how I got into the Maze. I glared at the newbie, still unsure of his name.

"He pushed me inside just before they closed." I growled, pointing at the boy.

He acted surprised as if he had never even seen me before in his life. The boys looked around the room and sighed.

"What's your story (Y/n)?" Newt asked.