Chapter 4

Hunter and I stumbled into the main hallway of the school, trying to keep quiet as we laughed our asses off. The school was dead silent. The grins on our faces remained while we scrambled down the stairs towards the 400 wing—the small hallway that was filled with old shop room that no one ever went in. The school had built a new wing for updated shop class rooms and planned to remodel the 400 wing starting our junior year.

Hunter played with the lock on one of the abandoned rooms and pulled me inside as quickly as he could. The door snapped shut and the room was near nothing but darkness. The only light was offered by the small window letting in sunlight.

We didn’t dare turn on the light incase anyone got the crazy idea to come back into the 400 wing. Sitting down behind an old work bench, I felt Hunter’s fingers interlace with mine.

“We’ve only been dating a week and you’ve already got me sneaking out of an assembly to run down to the 400 wing,” I said, still laughing from our awesome escape.

“Did you see the look on Mrs. Aubercanty’s face when you pretended to start barfing in that trashcan right next to her?” Hunter asked and bust up laughing at the memory.

“Um, no, my head was in the trashcan while I gagged and pretended to be throwing up! It was just smart of you to offer to take me to the nurse so you could get out, too!”

“Dude, her face was fucking priceless! Oh my god, I wish I could’ve gotten a picture of that it was the funniest thing!

I laughed and leaned back against the work bench. I was so glad the school hadn’t started remodeling yet. It was pretty nice just to get away and have some alone time with Hunter. How was it possible that I had gotten so lucky? That wasn’t how the story went. The ugly girl meets a really, really cute guy on the first day of English. She starts liking him and decides to make an effort. He sees her as a friend and then goes and sticks his tongue in some cheerleader’s mouth and put his dick down her throat. No where in that story does it say the cute guy notices the girl’s effort and decides he likes her too.

“So, how long is the assembly?” I asked and glanced up at the old analog clock hanging on the wall above the door. It was about a half hour until the end of sixth period.

“I’m pretty sure it goes through sixth period and then we go to lunch,” Hunter answered. I nodded my head thinking about how to spend the next half hour.

I felt Hunter’s hand on my cheek and turned to look at him. He had that adorable smile on his face again. I was just fighting not to lose my breath and to keep my heart at a normal pace, and then he just went and decided that I wasn’t allowed to do that. He wanted to take my breath away and make my heart beat unnaturally fast by closing his eyes and kissing me. I closed my eyes too and tried not to get too lost in the way his lips tasted—like the Mountain Dew he had that morning—or the way his tongue just barely brushed my lips and made a lasting tickle.

I tried to control my muscles enough to smile, but it seemed every last brain cell was focused on making sure that kiss was as fun for him as it was for me. I knew how much I loved kissing him. It was the best thing in the world. I don’t think you could’ve offered me anything that attracted me as much as kissing Hunter Occidere.

“Devin,” he whispered with his forehead pressed to mine. I tried to reply with words of my own, but all I could manage was a muffled “umhmm”. He smiled and I wasn’t sure if it had to do with what he was about to say or my response.

“Lay low. I hear footsteps,” he whispered again. My mind snapped back into focus. The intensive high that the kiss had sent me into was gone leaving me 110% sober. It felt like the kiss never even happened. I read it in a book somewhere or something, but it was as far away as the Indian Ocean.