Chapter 16

What did Allie mean asking to tell her if me and Hunter break up? Just randomly injected at the end of a conversation about the girl Jase likes? If I didn’t know any better, I’d think she meant that he likes me. But it’s Jase. Jase wouldn’t like me in a million years. We’ve been best friends for so long, and there are so many other girls for him to choose from. He’s so attractive and amazing he could get any girl out there. Why would he pick me?

Sitting in Geometry I start to think about my relationship with Hunter. I’m still not entirely sure why I gave him another chance. I’ve given him so many chances that allowing him another chance is virtually meaningless. I might as well break it off with him right now because I’m sure he’s going to manage to mess things up by this afternoon. In fact…

…I start to slowly pull my cell phone out of my pocket to text him that we’re over when I start to think about the party again. He swears that he never drugged me. If he never drugged me then it’s technically not date rape because I got high myself somehow and consented him to bang me. My phone starts going into my pocket and I’m looking back up at the board. I can’t really see what’s on the board though, because a girl named Maria is in my line of vision.

I wish Maria would move. Maria. The party. The two thoughts swirl together in my head. Maria The party. Maria. The party. Maria. The party. Maria… was there… MARIA WAS THERE WHEN HUNTER WAS GIVING ME THAT MOUNTAIN DEW. Maria walked past and grabbed my attention! That’s when Hunter put something in my drink!

“Maria,” I whisper. She turns around to look at me.

“Yeah?” she whispers back.

“When you walked past at Hunter’s party, did you see him put something in the drink he gave me?”

I know it’s asking a lot of her to recall such a small detail of her night. But if she can then she could change so much for me.

“I think so. I’m not sure what it was, but it looked like crack or something. I’m not sure.”

Holy shit! I WAS RIGHT NOT TO TRUST THAT LYING FUCK! HE FUCKING DRUGGED ME AND THEN BANGED ME! HUNTER RAPED ME!

“Wait, you saw him put something in my drink and didn’t say anything about it?”

“Sorry, I was kinda drunk and—”

“Excuse me,” my Geometry teacher says. “Do you ladies have something you’d like to share with the rest of the class?”

Shit. My teacher isn’t going to let this go until we tell her what we were talking about. I can’t tell her about what we were really talking about because she’ll send both of us to the office and we’ll get in trouble for underage drinking and drug use. Awesome. I guess I’m about to get arrested.

“Well, Devin was just asking me to help her with the formula for finding the interior angle when it’s coming from the center of the circle. I’m sorry, I was just trying to help her,” Maria explains. Why didn’t I think of something like that? Man, I panicked.

“All right, well, Devin, if you have a problem in the future, please ask me instead of talking through my lesson.”

I nod my head and pretend to start taking notes. When my teacher is satisfied, she turns around and starts scribbling numbers and letters on the board again. That’s when I slide out my cell phone and start sending a text message to Hunter.

U LYING FUCK. WE R SO OVER 4EVER. U BETTER HOPE I DON’T GET MY HANDS ON U OR UR A DEAD MAN.

I hit send and sit back in my chair while my teacher drones on and on. My phone starts vibrating quietly. I slide it out of my pocket