Chapter 11

The first thing I see at school is that someone has written on Hallie Ryser’s locker pregnant whore. I’m pretty sure it was Allie, and I know she could’ve been more original than that. Seriously. I mean, the whole writing on the locker thing, and trying to start a similar rumor about Hallie just isn’t bright. Come on! At least do something a little different, Allie!

I find Allie at her locker a few down from mine, but I think it’s best not to bother her. I mean, I could, but she seems pretty wrapped up making out with Jase right now. Then again, she did probably start uncertain Hell for me, so, meh, why not?

“Allie!” I call out and walk to her and Jase. They stop kissing and look at me.

“Oh, hey, Devin,” she says happily.

“So, did you see Hallie’s locker this morning?” I question.

“No, what did you do?” Jase asks. I’m not sure if he’s upset to think I did something or excited.

“I didn’t so anything. Although, I feel like Allie did, since it WAS her idea.”

Allie and Jase look at me rather confused.

“Allie has been with me all morning. We haven’t touched Hallie’s locker,” Jase says. I think about it and try to figure out who else would’ve done it. I know Jase isn’t lying to me. Jase never does, and I trust him more than I trust anyone else, but I’ll never tell Hunter that.

“Where’s Lyss?” Allie asks. The three of us run off towards Lyss’s locker. She’s standing there eating a bowl full of mini donuts and drinking a Monster. That makes me think of an energy drink, something that Jase didn’t give me one last night. Now I really want some.

“Lyss, what did you do to Hallie’s locker?” Allie demands the second we get there. Lyss stares at us.

“I didn’t do anything. What happened?” she asks. We take her to Hallie’s locker which still says pregnant whore. I’m pretty sure whoever put it there wrote it in Sharpie. That’s not going to come off easily.

“Does that even look like my handwriting?” Lyss points out. She pulls a paper out of her binder and compares it to the writing on Hallie’s locker. It’s nowhere near a match.

“What about Hunter? Could he have written it?” Jase asks. I shake my head. I know Hunter’s handwriting considering all the notes we pass, and this is even further from the writing on Hallie’s locker than Lyss’s.

“Then who wrote it?” I ask. We look down the hall and can see Hallie coming down the hall. She’s on her way to her locker and we all know if we’re standing there when she gets there, she’s going to think it was us. All of us scramble down the hall and I can’t help myself, so I glance around the corner while she looks at her locker. Instead of getting pissed, she freaks out and looks around frantically.

She turns to her two friends that are just behind her. All three of them chatter nervously and look at her locker. I hear my name come up in conversation, but Hallie looks like she’s denying it. Why would she deny the chance to get me in trouble for writing pregnant whore on her locker in Sharpie?

Hallie glances nervously around the hallway and confirms that it’s empty. Then, she pulls her loose sweater tight and I nearly shit a brick. It’s pretty subtle, and it disappears completely when she’s not touching that loose sweater of hers.

“Is it noticeable?” she questions frantically. I can barely see her stomach is slightly enlarged. Holy shit. That’s a baby bump. Hallie’s actually pregnant.

I turn and see Jase, Lyss, and Allie standing there watching me as I spied on Hallie. Who cares? I just found out an insane piece of information.

“Guys, I have no idea who wrote on Hallie’s locker, but holy shit you are not going to believe this.”