Chapter 7

“Devin Munroe,” my second period biology teacher, Mr. Daynison, calls out as he reads a piece of paper at the door. I look up to him and he waves the pink slip in the air. I wonder if I’m in trouble about this stoner slut thing going around school. That’s totally not fair, either, considering I didn’t even start it. Some asshole did, and now I’m going to have to take the blame for it? As if things aren’t bad enough already?

I grab my books and walk over to the door where Mr. Daynison hands me the office pass. When I walk out of the door Allie is standing there and a wave of relief washes over me that tells me I should’ve known it would be her. The only reason I hadn’t known that she was the one bringing the pass instantly was because we hadn’t planned anything for today.

Allie and I walk down the hallway towards the 100 wing where our secret exit is.

“So what’s with the sudden plan to ditch today? I didn’t think we were doing this again until next week,” I point out. We’re almost to the door and I check the security camera just to make sure that the little green light that indicates its function isn’t on. When I’m positive it’s off, I allow my hand to fall on the door handle.

“We’re not. You are, though. Go meet Jase in his car,” Allie says. Why? I’m confused, but I walk out of the door anyways to head towards the dark blue Honda Civic. The parking lot is completely vacant of life as I try to stealthily make my way to Jase’s parking space without being seen. I feel like a secret agent, and if I get seen I’ll be blown to bits by the evil Dr. Guadino—a.k.a. our school principal, who yes, really has a doctorate—by her evil suspension ray of doom. The real torture will come later when the after effects of the suspension ray force my parents to bitch at me for an hour straight for ditching school and then ground me from legitimately everything for at least a month.

The minute I make it to Jase’s car, I open the door and the car is moving the second it slams shut. My seatbelt isn’t even on before we’re out on the main road. The getaways have become much faster and cleaner because we’ve had since November to perfect it.

“So, Devin, how are you today?” Jase asks. I can’t help but chuckle. It’s only been all of first period since he’s seen me, and he was hanging out with me all morning. Well, except for when I went to hang out with Hunter before homeroom, but those few minutes hardly count.

“Like you don’t know? We’ve only been apart for all of an hour,” I answer. Jase shrugs his shoulders and turns onto the freeway. Whoa. We’ve never left town before. I wonder where we’re going to that requires we get on the freeway.

“I know. I just thought it would be polite to ask,” Jase replies with his signature grin. He glances at me for as long as he can before putting his eyes back on the road. Then, he hits the gas and flies past another driver before getting back into the right lane. Even though he can drive like a bat out of hell sometimes, I still feel completely safe in a car with him. He has a perfect track record with driving. No accidents or tickets. As far as everyone else in the world that hasn’t ridden in the car when he’s driving like he likes to drive—that’s usually only when he’s in the car by himself or with me. Allie hates it when he drives like that, he doesn’t know Lyss well enough, and he would never drive the Jase way with anyone else in the car—he’s the perfect driver.

“So, what’s up with the random unplanned school skippage? And where are we going that requires we get on the freeway?” I question. Jase shrugs his shoulder and then exasperatedly flicks off a driver that passes him and is driving like an asshole. I laugh and glance at the cars behind us.

“I’m sick as shit hearing all that stoner slut and pothead prostitute shit going around. I swear I’m going to beat the next person into a bloody pulp if they repeat it. I’m sure you’re sick of it, too, and figured you could use a day. Allie’s already got us covered with the office, working her Allie magic, so as long as we get you home by three thirty, your parents will never know a thing. You’ll be good as golden.”