Chapter 6

I’ve felt terrible all weekend. I can’t believe I slept with Hunter. I didn’t want to, and I don’t want to again for a long time. I feel so guilty about the whole thing.

Jase, Lyss, and Allie all snuck in through the window last night. They’ve been here all day, and I’m sure my mom knows they’re up here, but she doesn’t care enough to say anything.

“I can’t believe it happened,” I cry. Allie is offering me a hug and I take it, but I secretly wish the hug will be coming from Jase soon. His hugs are the only ones I want. His hugs are the only ones that make me feel so good that I can’t understand how a hug has produced the feeling. But, I’m sure Allie is still a little cautious about me and Jase after the rumor on Friday.

“Why did you let it happen?” Lyss asks and pulls a Hershey kiss out of my secret snack stash under my couch.

“I didn’t want to. I mean, I was high—”

“You got high?!” Jase demands quietly so my mom won’t hear. I start crying a little.

“I didn’t mean to! I don’t even know how it happened. I didn’t intentionally have anything until after I was already stoned,” I explain. Just remembering the night makes me nauseous with guilt. I just wanted to have some fun with my boyfriend and my best friends and ended up drugged and banged. Isn’t that considered date rape?

“Did anyone slip you anything?” Allie asks. I rethink my night. The only time anyone gave me anything was when Hunter gave me the Mountain Dew. But I was watching him the whole time and I saw other people drink the Mountain Dew without getting high. Wait. The moment when I turned to say hi to Maria. Awesome.

“THAT MOTHERFUCKER!” I scream. I’m sure my mom is going to be pissed that I screamed something like that, but whatever. She doesn’t know why I screamed it. My boyfriend drugged me and then banged me. He fucking date raped me.

“H-he put something in my Mountain Dew! When I turned to say hi to a girl I know! He must have slipped something in my drink!” I exclaim. Jase looks like he’s going to punch a wall.

“Devin, that’s RAPE. Hunter RAPED you!”

I drop my head into my hands. This is just fantastic. My boyfriend raped me.

“Guys, I’m going over to Hunter’s house. I’m going to talk to him about this,” I say.

***

When I was in eighth grade, there were a lot of rumors going around about me. It was really difficult to manage, but I made it through. I knew that if the bullying happened to me again I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to be strong through it. Getting to high school was one of the best things that’s ever happened to me, because everyone finally stopped thinking they knew all the rumors about me.

The first thing that happened was everyone called me ugly. I didn’t listen to them at first but it started getting harder. At that point the only friend I really had was Jase, and he was the only one who reassured me that I was beautiful. Without Jase, middle school would’ve been a lot harder

***

Jase waits outside in his car while I knock on Hunter’s door. His parents still aren’t home. I guess they’ll be getting home tonight. Hunter opens the door and admittedly, even when he looks like he just got out of bed, he looks really good. Even though his light brown hair is messed up and his blue eyes look kinda glazed over, I can’t help but still think he’s cute. His black Family Guy pajama pants and another one of his Avenged Sevenfold t-shirts are a little wrinkled from him being asleep. Still, that smile of his comes to his face when he sees me.