Chapter 28

She had moved out.

Ben still couldn't believe it. Rey had moved out to another room without telling him, and the only reason he knew was because he had given in to asking his uncle after a frantic search for her the day after their confrontation in her room.

Correction. Her old room.

And now here he was in the wee hours of the morning, stupidly standing in front of the door to her old room, replaying their confrontation in his head. He realized now, albeit too late, that he should have gone about things differently, but how exactly he should have dealt with the aftermath of his reckless decisions, he didn't know. If only his mother had been around enough to teach him how a girl's mind worked. If only his father...

But there was no use dealing with what ifs. No use putting any blame on his parents' absence from his life when he was the one who had made those decisions and said those hurtful things when he should have known better because he was the adult.

To say he had made a huge mistake would be an understatement, and now he had to deal with the consequences. Rey was gone and he didn't know where she was. Luke wasn't telling him upon Rey's request, and thankfully, the older man hadn't pried as to what had caused the rift between them. Why, he was probably glad it happened, Ben thought bitterly, eyes still fixated on Rey's door, his shoulders slumped.

She was gone. Gone from his life, perhaps forever. She had even taken great pains to hide from him, both physically and from the Force. More than once he had tried to search for her that way, but to no avail. And with the final trial and graduation coming up, he began to fear she may never give him the chance to speak to her before he left.

"Where are you, Rey?" He whispered as he took a step forward and pressed his head on the door, wishing and willing for her to come to him so that at the very least they would have some closure, if indeed this was it for them, but he stubbornly refused to believe this was the end. The Rey he knew and raised was forgiving and he still held on to the hope that somehow, someway, they would get past this. Holding on to that hope was the only way he could still get up in the morning.

He pressed his forehead harder against the door and concentrated on calling for her in his mind, though he knew such an exercise was futile. He needed so badly to see her; to be around her again. It wasn't as though he still needed her to keep the nightmares away. Surprisingly, despite her no longer within close proximity to him, he hadn't had any nightmares as of late; only sporadic dreams of the young woman who had been haunting him, her hazel eyes a mirror of sadness.

The young woman he now realized was an older Rey.

He gritted his teeth as the memory of the vision from Spira assailed him—the young woman that was Rey, smiling oh so beautifully at him while children—their children—called excitedly for them. At first he'd blamed it on an overactive imagination, but Rey had seen it too and claimed the woman was her.

There was no older sister; no going around the fact that those visions were of Rey. The resemblance was far too strong, and he wondered what in the world the Force was telling him, if indeed the Force had something to do with those visions. Yet at the same time, he remained terrified of the possibilities. Rey was too young and he had raised her as a sister. He shouldn't even look at her in that way yet in his dreams, her older self would not leave him alone.

"...if you could only have waited a few more years..."

Ben shook away the memory of Rey's words, his eyes widening at a sudden pull in his heart. He turned to the direction of the pull and saw Rey standing at one end of the hallway, still in her sleeping robes, with dark circles under her eyes and her hair haphazardly done. She looked just as surprised as he was, although she was the one to recover first, and began walking in his direction, though her gaze was on the exit leading towards the mess hall.