Chapter 16

Ben managed to avoid me by hopping on a tractor and starting to turn the soil on the plot that had just been cleared. Dad came home after lunch and Ben steered clear of me until dad was there. Dad was visiting Eddie with Harry and they were having dinner there, I told him I was going out, he didn't ask anything about it and Ben just said he had plans. I wasn't sure why Ben didn't tell but I knew why I didn't tell dad what happened that morning.

Jamie actually closed with Ben, she insisted and that meant I had extra time to get ready. It took me a while to decide they wouldn't get the Sunday best. Just a clean pair of black jeans with a nice white t-shirt that boldly stated 'Yes! I am all that!'. I thought it was funny. With a pair of white sneakers, a bare minimum of makeup and my hair in a loose braid down my back I was ready.

Ben was also wearing a black pair of jeans and a white dress shirt. He cleaned up nice and was leaning against the driver side door of Adrien's car when I walked out. Dad had already left.

"I told your dad that you would give me a ride, my bike is playing up."

"Sure...I assume that you aren't moving for a reason? Cause we won't get anywhere if I can't get into the car."

Ben smiled wickedly. "I would be extremely happy and in your debt if you would let me drive you tonight."

I tossed him the keys and walked to the other side to get in. He was grinning when he slipped into the fine leather seat. "Care to tell me why it would make you so happy?"

"Your b_ I mean your friend has great taste in cars?"

"Try again..."

"Honestly, their kind of people have certain rules. Letting a woman drive makes you look weak and as a benefit...it would piss them off that I'm driving his car with you while they can do nothing about it."

"Why? And how would you know? What was that discussion with Mr. Mac about this morning and why didn't you tell dad what happened?"

"Why didn't you?"

"Don't answer my question with a question Ben!"

"Okay. Adrien likes you, his dad is the boss so they would all know his car and that he gave it to you so_"

"He didn't give me it, it's only till I get mine back! And he doesn't like me, he just feels the need to protect me because he helped me when it started to get bad."

"Stay with him or me."

"I_"

"Shut up and listen...I'll be clearer...you will stay with him or with me while we are at their house."

"But_"

"There will lots of people there and I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Well_"

"This isn't a dialogue Juliette! Just listen!"

"Well, if you just_"

"Don't look down if someone stares at you, don't show weakness. This is really important_"

"It's just dinne_"

"Last of all...make sure you're not alone until we leave!"

"Oh please!"

"Not kidding here Juliette this is your first time and you have no idea about what sort of people we are dealing with. If you get challenged please don't back down. You don't have to answer to anyone.."

He was quite right, I had no idea what to expect. He wasn't going to answer me so I decided to just ignore him if he was going to speak in riddles. Why would I be challenged at a dinner.. We drove through town and went deep into the other side. I had never been there. It was actually quite strange to realize that I'd never been to the other side of town. I'd giving up on talking to Ben and he had turned the music on.