Chapter 26

Dedicated to @Callella, thank you.
---

As could have been expected the bad boy wannabe broke the silence.
"And now you have one, without being anyone's mate. To protect you from anything that might wish you harm, expect for humans. It's sad really, when you think about, you are protected from everything other than your own species."
"I'm sure it won't protect me from everything else either."
"Oh it will! There is nothing it won't work on beside your kind. That's kinda why I wanted to see if he really gave it to you."
"So it'll protect me from.. oh I don't know... wet floors, falling branches, speeding dodge balls, feral pigs, escaped lions, killer rats and mutant Gremlins?...That sort of Everything?" I asked innocently but with an angry edge slipping through.

Ben and Andy knew me best, they laughed. Sarcasm was my defense to just about anything. It was also the reason I got into trouble with my bullies at school. Even when I tried, I still slipped up half the time. Bad boy stuttered. "Euh... well.. no? I don't think so... I mean, euh? Maybe?"
"Maybe? Maybe? I need to risk my life on a maybe?" I said dramatically with a hint of anger.
Ben slung an arm around me. "No little one, calm yourself down. That's why I asked Ryker to come and join your school for a while."
"A while?"
"He's trying to say I am joining high school, again, so that I can graduate, again! I'll be with you for the rest of the year sweetie. That way the beasties can do as they need. I must have been hard on them to be there even today."
Adrien snarled. Like actually snarled, teeth on display and all! His eyes flashed. I looked away trying to hide the instant fear his eyes invoked in me. There was a curse accentuated with a loud bang on the table, a chair scraped back and fell, angry footsteps stomped through the kitchen and then the door was thrown open. Another chair moved, more carefully this time. A soft apology and then Bobby was running after Adrien.

"Why does that one scare you?"
"His eyes are blue." I replied unreasonably angry..
"And?"
"And I don't want to talk about it right now." I snapped.
"Fair enough." He shrugged.

I got up and gave Ben a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thanks for sharing something so special with me. I hope I don't disappoint you. Did dad ring?"
"Yeah. He said Eddie seems to be healing insanely well. The doctors are pack, so they are keeping unnatural changes off the charts. There is however a major complication from our perspective..."
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing wrong with Eddie. At this speed he should wake up tomorrow night at the latest. The complication is Harry. It seems that Eddie and Harry have a mind link that normally only happens in a pack. Harry is talking to Eddie, your dad thinks it's all in his mind but we are pretty sure it's a link, he is also showing signs of enhanced senses and emotions... like a developing wolf would have... like you actually."
It wasn't that I wasn't listening but a sound caught my attention and I turned to the door just before Adrien walked back in. Without thought I immediately flew over to him like I had that morning, again mumbling apologies for being afraid of his eyes. Like in the morning he wrapped his arms around me tightly and forgave me instantly. He calmly reminded me that we would both have to learn to deal with what his brother had done. And he chuckled darkly, saying that we had to suffer because his brother was having an identity crisis. Just like that I felt better. Remembering that I wanted to see Eddie and had a lot of cooking to do as well I stepped back and ran upstairs yelling I wouldn't be too long.

When I was walking downstairs the conversation they were having abruptly cut off. The idea came to mind that they obviously didn't want me to hear what they were talking about yet.
"Soooo? How close to your brothers are you?" Asked the bad boy.
"Have you got siblings?" I replied blandly.
"What is the age difference between you and the twins?"
"Just how old are you, if you have already done high School?"
"Have they always had the twin telepathy thing?"
"Where are you from?"
"Are you just going to answer my questions with questions?"
"How do you know Ben?"
"Seriously?"
I smiled sweetly in reply.