Chapter 29 - Hit Me With Your Best Shot

"How would you like to be the opening act for One Direction's Where We Are tour?" Matt asks.

My jaw falls out and it hangs there a moment. "Are you serious right now?" Zayn comes from behind me and squeezes my hips.

"Yes. As serious as it may get. Well.. technically, you have no choice. Your relationship is on the line."

"You're joking! My relationship depends on this silly opening act?  Who even said I could sing? This is outrageous!" I object, and Matt adjusts his glasses.

"It's your choice, Helen. You either agree to an audition or forfeit now. Please choose. I have a very important meeting in ten minutes," he says hurriedly, checking his Roll-X watch.

"This is unfair. But I will 'audition' for this petty opening act. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go pray this wasn't a horrible decision." I turn on my heels and storm out of the massive room.

I push the heavy wooden door open and fly down the steps with Zayn following behind me, trying to talk to me. Ignoring his flow of words, I push the through revolving door and the wind blows in my face. My head spins and I feel faint. Arms wrap around my waist and I lean into the familiar body. My eyes close with the smell of cologne flooding my senses.

Simultaneously, my arms stretch out and I hear a yelp. Instantly, I look up to see Zayn clutching his nose. His eyes are scrunched up in pain. Did I mention I make fists when I stretch? I sit up abruptly and kiss his face everywhere.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, baby!" I say between kisses. I hear his throaty laugh and I stop.

"Are you okay? Oh Lord. I'm such an imbecile," I mumble, face-palming myself. Laying back down, I can feek my cheeks flush and I shake my head.

"It's alright. I think it was adorable." His lips meet my exposed nose with a soft kiss. I remove my hand and stare up at him.

"Does this mean we have to discuss what happened with that awful lad?" I ask in an attempted English accent. Zayn laughs lightly and nods. I groan and sit up again. He moves from his chair to the seat next to me.

"You don't have to. I know you have a serious case of stage fright. If you don't feel comfortable.." he trails off and I gasp.

ZAYN'S POV

"You are just as crazy as Matt! What nerve, Zayn! Of course I'm going to do it! I love you!" She burst, looking pale after having said that.

I take her hand in mine and push her hair out of her beautiful face. "I know, love. I know. But you're scared, and there's an audition. These people are critical. They critique the best. I'm warning you because it's tough."

She takes a deep breath, clearly trying not to argue. Her eyelids close over her eyes and she exhales slowly. When she opens her eyes, tears threaten to drip. I pretend I don't notice for her sake.

"Matt says the audition is tomorrow at ten o'clock sharp. He wants us to meet him at The Allphones Arena. He also wants you to prepare a song. I know you won't disappoint." I bring Helena close to me, kissing her forehead, then wrapping my arms around her.

"You'll do great, baby. I'm positive," my voice vibrates, ringing through my own ears with hope. Helena cares more about staying with me than performing in front of harsh judges. I don't know if I should be glad or scared for her.

I feel her chest heaving rhythmically against mine and I realize she fell asleep. A smile creeps slowly across my face as I scoop her up delicately as to not wake her, and walk upstairs. Placing her on the bed, I notice what she's wearing. Creeping into my closet, I find a plain white T-shirt. Throwing it over my shoulder, I go  my pants and find a comfortable pair of sweats. After taking that, I walk out and back over to the bed. Swiftly peeling off her jeans and shirt, I put my clothing on her. Satisfied, I kiss forhead and take my shirt off. I slide into bed next to her.