Epilogue

Four years had passed since Hee Gun was released from prison. Although it is a fact that Hee Gun and Seong Im have to live with the scars etched on their bodies, arms and legs for the rest of their lives, they chose to let go of the bad memories and moved on from it. Hee Gun pulled his car over outside the prison and wound down the car window. His eyes were fixed on the gate of the prison entrance.

"Dong Hoon, hyung!" He shouted from inside the car and opened the door to get out.

Both of them looked at Hee Gun, surprised that he actually came to pick them up. Hee Gun gave them both a fist bump. "Wait here," he told them and went over to the passenger side of the car. They couldn't really see what he was doing, except that his mouth was moving as though he was talking to someone. The door opened with a 'click' sound. Dressed in a black and white floral print dress and a pair of black sandals, Seong Im alighted from the car and walked towards them.

"Seong..Seong Im ssi." Dong Hoon stuttered.

"It's.. been awhile." She said and her eyes shifted between them. "For the both of you," she extend her arms and held out two plastic bag in front of them.

They took the bag and peered into it. Tofu. Jong Kook couldn't keep his eyes off the scars on her arms. After so many years, they were still clearly visible. He dropped to his knees and bowed his head. Dong Hoon followed suit.

Unsure of what to do, Seong Im turned to look at Hee Gun who was taken aback by their actions too.

"We tried to harm you so many times yet you still came. How are we supposed to face you?" Jong Kook said with full of regret.

"We are sorry for all that we did. We don't expect you to forgive us but please accept our apology!" Dong Hoon chipped in.

"She wouldn't be here if she wasn't willing to forgive." Hee Gun said and told them to get up. They looked at Seong Im and she nodded in agreement to Hee Gun's statement.

"Thank you so much!" Dong Hoon and Jong Kook bowed and exclaimed at the same time.

***

They arrived at Myeongdong, a main shopping district in Seoul. All four of them got down from the car and Hee Gun and Seong Im led them inside a small café tucked at the corner down the street.

Dong Hoon and Jong Kook looked around at the surrounding. The walls were painted white with speckles of baby blue paint dotted around. Pictures of different coffee arts were hanging on the wall. The space was occupied with round circular tables and matching black chairs. Seong Im went behind the counter to brew some coffee.

"You work here now?" Jong Kook turned to look at Hee Gun and asked.

Seong Im came to the table with a wooden tray. She sat down beside Hee Gun and slid the two cups of coffee across the table to Dong Hoon and Jong Kook.

"We own this place." Hee Gun placed his hand over Seong Im's and said. His answer was met with disbelief from both of them.

Both of them quit their jobs and with their savings, they managed to rent a space and opened a café of their own.

"We are currently looking for staff. If you don't mind, we would like to hire the both of you." Seong Im said with a smile in her face.

Jong Kook and Dong Hoon exchanged glances. "But we don't know anything about coffee and.. we have criminal records." Dong Hoon told them.

"What are you talking about?" Hee Gun flicked Dong Hoon's forehead and asked.

"I knew nothing about coffee a few months ago but Seong Im taught me everything. She will teach the both of you and don't you forget, I've a criminal record as well." Hee Gun reminded him.

"It doesn't matter if you have a criminal record. Everyone should be given a chance to turn over a new leaf. As long as you're willing to learn, I'll be willing to teach." Seong Im added on.

"It's hard to decide," Jong Kook sighed.
"Yah! Stop being so wishy-washy. I don't care. Both of you are working with us." Hee Gun went to the counter and took out two sets of aprons from the drawer and threw it at them.

"Why are you guys still sitting there? We need to start working!" He shouted from the counter.

Seong Im let out a amused huff at how Hee Gun was trying to act all serious. "Put on the apron and come to the counter." She told the both of them, before walking to the counter to join Hee Gun.

Thankful for the opportunity, Dong Hoon and Jong Kook stood up and shouted, "yes boss!"

***

Author's note:

It's the end of the 'Pursuit' series! Really enjoyed writing this since the theme is different from the previous two books.
Without you guys, there wouldn't be 'Pursuit of Fate' and least to say, the sequel, 'Pursuit of Happiness.'

Thank you for all the support, comments, votes and love given to this series! 😊