Chapter Nine

The sign hanging on the glass door had the closed sign facing out to the street but the front door wasn't locked. Holding on to a brown paper bag, Hee Gun entered the cafe.

"We're not open.. yet.." Eun Ri turned and said. Her voice faded to a soft mumble and a smile flashed across her face after she saw Hee Gun.

"Passed this to Seong Im when she's here." He placed the paper bag on the counter and said.

"For Seong Im unnie? What's the relationship between the both of you?" Eun Ri couldn't help but to ask.
She has never hear Seong Im mentioning anything about Hee Gun.

"A friend. " He replied.

"Then how do I address you?" She asked.

"Just pass it to her. She will know." He told her and left the cafe.

Eun Ri peered into the bag and there was only a small thermos flask inside. There wasn't any card or note to state who was it from. She kept the paper bag in the pantry and carried on with the preparation before the cafe opens for business.

20 minutes later, Seong Im entered the cafe. She was feeling fine other than just having a slight sore throat. She went into the pantry and could easily spot the brown paper bag on the table just beside the fridge. She put her bag in the locker and and went to take a look.

"Eun Ri, what is this?" She walked out of the pantry towards the counter with the bag hooked on her fingers.

Eun Ri shrugged her shoulders before replying, "it's for you. Someone told me to pass it to you. He didn't leave his name. He said you will know once you see it."

"Hmm.." Seong Im mumbled. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the paper bag with curious eyes. Bringing it back into the pantry, she placed it on the table and took out the small thermo flask from the bag. She tried to see if there was any note pasted at the sides of the bag or at the bottom of the flask but there wasn't any.

She twisted the cap off the flask and a faint sweet scent of chrysanthemum wafted to her nostrils. A smile appeared on her face. She knew who it was from without having to guess. Eun Ri quietly walked into the pantry and stood beside Seong Im.

"Unnie, you know who it was from?" She asked after seeing that sweet smile on her face.

"Ah.. yea. Did he say anything before leaving?" Seong Im asked.

Eun Ri shook her head.

"As expected.." Seong Im mumbled. She screwed the cap back onto the flask and kept it inside her locker.

Seong Im has been all smiles after receiving the gift from Hee Gun. It was an unusual sight to see her being so cheerful especially during work. Even Kwang Soo finds it strange. He nudged Eun Ri on her elbow and gestured at Seong Im. "What's wrong with her today?"

"Oppa, you find it weird too? She had been smiling almost the entire day after receiving a gift from the guy." Eun Ri replied.

"What guy? Who?"

"The man who ordered a cup of caramel macchiato with extra sugar syrup aka, Mr cool guy."

Kwang Soo sort of knew the person that Eun Ri was talking about and at the same time, he was amused by how she nicknamed him. "Mr cool guy..? You actually created a nickname for him?" He snickered.

"That's the only way to address him since I don't know his name. Besides, I don't think I stand a chance." She rest her chin on her hands, her elbows propped on the table and sighed.

"What do you mean?"

"Unnie looked so happy. I'm guessing they are probably together." She said in a disappointing tone.

"Eyy.. That's just your assumption." Kwang Soo brushed it off.

"Maybe. Anyway, why are you so interested in this?" She questioned and observed every feature of his flustered face.

"You like Seong Im unnie?" She leaned closer and squinted her eyes suspiciously at him.

"N..no. What nonsense are you talking about? If you're so free, go and wipe the tables. This side is dirty; that side as well." Kwang Soo pointed at the tables and shoved a cloth into her hand.

"Oppa, don't worry, I will keep this as a secret." She teased and stick her tongue out before hurriedly running away as Kwang Soo kicked his left leg into the air towards her direction.

***

Walking back home, Seong Im spotted Hee Gun pacing back and forth at her front gate. She stopped at the pavement and looked at her reflection in the screen of her phone and gently ran her fingers down her medium-length brown hair to neaten and untangle any tangled strands.

Once she was satisfied with her looks, she slowly strolled towards him. "Are you planning to come here every night?" She stood in front of him and asked.

"Why? Can't I?" Hee Gun looked at her and replied.

"Yes, you can't."

"Reason?"

"It's tiring for you to travel to and fro from Gangnam to Mapo every night." She furrowed her brows and said.

"That's not how I feel so your reason isn't valid." His stoic expression was making every sentences that he said to sound serious. It was hard to differentiate whether was he joking around or just really being serious.

She held out the brown paper bag to him with both hands. He glanced at the bag and asked, "did you drink it?"

"Pretty much of it.." She mumbled.

"Thank you.." She added.

He took the bag from her and looked at her, puzzled with her sudden change in emotion and the formalites. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing big.. It's just seeing your expressionless face, it's difficult to read what's on your mind. I can't tell if you're happy to see me.. or not." Her voice trailed off.

"There's a reason to that," He cupped her chin and raised her head. Her mouth parted slightly. "But I won't tell you now." He continued.

"Why?"

"No reason." He replied before pulling her towards him and hugged her. "Even though I don't show it, I'm happy to be with you." He said softly.

He pulled away and looked at her. "You should go in and rest now." He said to her. He picked up the paper bag on the ground and turned around to leave but she grabbed hold of his wrist.

He turned around and she suddenly  planted a kiss on his lips. "Call me once you reach home." She stepped back to look at him.

"You never fail to surprise me." He smiled before promising that he will.
He walked away, stopping seconds later to turn and wave at her. She waved back and motioned to him to quickly leave.

You never fail to surprise me as well.