Chapter Eleven

"Hyung, take a break. You have been repairing that for the past two hour." Soo Jin put down the toolbox and leaned against the front bumper of the car.

"Awhile more." Hee Gun shouted. He twisted the wrench a few times trying to tighten the screws under the car. Once it was secured, he slid out from beneath the car without any warning, giving Soo Jin a scare.

His blue overall and fingers were covered in motor oil. Soo Jin threw him the cloth lying on the car before handing him a can of canned juice.

"Thanks." Hee Gun said. He pulled the tab open and gulped down the drink. It was the first drink that he had drank for the entire day. He didn't had the time to take a break.

Kyung Ju walked towards the duo and swung his arm across Hee Gun's shoulders. Hee Gun glanced at him, still not used to him acting all chummy.

"Hee Gun! Let's go drink tonight! We haven't really welcome you yet." Kyung Ju suggested.

"There's no need for a welcome party." Hee Gun replied.

"Come on, let's just have some fun. Don't tell me that you're still bearing grudges to what happened that time."

Hee Gun considered and looked at Soo Jin who was pleading for him to go as well.

"Fine, I'll go." Hee Gun replied.

***

There were quite a few nightclubs and bars along the stretch of Gangnam street. Entering the nightclub, neon lights mounted on the walls pulsed to the rhythm of the rock music. They sat around a round table and ordered a few bottles of beer.

He watched as Kyung Ju and another colleague played rounds of fingers-guessing game while the rest placed bets on who would be the winner. Those who placed the wrong bet had to drink the beer as a punishment.

Though it was funny to see Soo Jin losing every bet that he placed, Hee Gun wasn't in the mood to laugh. He was thinking about what he saw a few days back. The piercing gaze of Jong Kook's was still etched in his mind. It was not a coincidence for Jong Kook to bump into her. Definitely not, he thought.

"I got to go." He got up from the high stool and suddenly said.

"We've only been here for an hour. Stay for awhile more." Soo Jin said in his slightly tipsy state.

Hee Gun declined and placed the money for his share on the table. "Have fun and thanks." He told them.

He pulled out his phone from his back pocket while walking out of the nightclub. Scrolling through the contact list, he tapped on Jong Kook's name and pressed the call button.

Jong Kook was sitting on the couch with one leg bent and the other stretched out straight. He picked up his phone that was vibrating on the table and looked at the caller ID on the screen. He was not surprised to receive a call from Hee Gun. He was already expecting it.

He answered the call and all he heard were these two words, "let's meet."

Jong Kook began to frown and kept silent for a few seconds before replying, "where?"

"The old playground that we used to hangout at." Hee Gun replied.

"I'll be there in thirty minutes."

***

Hee Gun arrived at the place but didn't see Jong Kook around. He sat down on the bench and waited. It didn't take long before he spotted a buff guy walking towards him.

"Make it short. What is it?" Jong Kook asked, standing impatiently.

Hee Gun stood up and looked at him. "Why were you trying to get near to Seong Im?"

"You call to meet just to ask about this?" Jong Kook let out an amused huff.

Annoyed by his reply, Hee Gun went forward and grabbed him by the neck of his shirt. "I still respect you as my hyung so please don't make me hit you."

Jong Kook scoffed. Slowly, his expression became serious. With an intent gaze, he stared at him without blinking. "You should know the reason. Hyung-nim isn't pleased to see you with her. She's like a ticking time bomb to us." He grabbed Hee Gun's wrist and forcefully pushed him away.

"Are you trying to separate us?" Hee Gun asked.

"It's hyung-nim. He give the orders and I'm just here to pass on the message." Jong Kook replied.

"Tell hyung-nim to stop whatever that he is planning to do to her. I won't leave her. Never." Hee Gun said quietly. He shot him a glare before turning around.

"Then you shall regret for being so stubborn." Jong Kook shouted.

"Just like how you were for not listening to my words and proving that I was right to say Ji Rin wasn't someone that you should trust." He added. Jong Kook knew that bringing up Ji Rin's name would remind Hee Gun's of the hurt that he went through but he still had to do it to get his message across to Hee Gun.

Hearing Ji Rin's name, Hee Gun stopped walking and stood still. He clenched his fists tightly. He hated it whenever Jong Kook mentioned her name. It was his weak spot. He closed his eyes to compose himself and tried to stay calm before opening his eyes again.

"Stop doing all these useless stuff." He unclenched his fists and mumbled with his back facing him before taking his leave.