Chapter Ten

The soft sounds of the jazz music coming from the speaker mounted at the top corner of the room created a relaxing ambience in the billiard room.

The cue stick strike the white cue ball, rolling it towards the coloured cue balls stationed in the middle of the table and sent them rolling around in random directions.

"What have you gotten so far?" Suk Jin asked while rubbing the blue chalk against the tip of the cue stick.

"Hee Gun and that woman.. They are together." Jong Kook replied.

"When did it happened?"

"Two weeks ago."

"What?" Suk Jin slammed the cue stick on the billiard table and stormed up to him. "It happened two weeks ago and you're only informing me about it now?" He yelled.

"That's because I don't see why you should be worried about it. From what I observed, she has yet to regain her memory and even if she does, I believe that Hee Gun will prevent her from reporting the matter to the police." Jong Kook argued.

"What do you know? You can't be 100% sure about something that is unpredictable." Suk Jin walked back to the table and picked up the stick, bending down to aim at the cue ball.

"But hyung-nim-"

"I call the shots here." He cut in. He drew back his cue and struck the white cue ball. "Break them up. Immediately." He instructed.

"Algesumnida, hyung-nim." Jong Kook bowed his head and walked out of the room.

***

"Noona, is it true?" Kwang Soo asked.

"About what?" Seong Im replied with her eyes focused on the magazine that she was reading.

"Your relationship with that guy. Is it true that he's your boyfriend?" He asked with slight hesitation.

Seong Im closed the magazine and lay it on the table. "How did you know?"

"I heard it from Eun Ri.." He mumbled. "So it's true?"

Seong Im nodded and cast a curious eye at him. "You have been acting weird today."

"I'm just worried that's all. You only know him for a few months." Kwang Soo replied.

"Don't worry, I'm smart enough to differentiate between a good and a bad guy." Seong Im smiled and replied, glad to have Kwang Soo as her friend.

***

With his work completed before the end of his shift, Hee Gun was given the permission to go home early. There was still an hour left before Seong Im knock off from work. He took a bus to the café and decided to give her a surprise.

He looked through the floor-to-ceiling glass panel and noticed Kwang Soo wiping the tables while Seong Im was busy wiping the surface of the counter. He gently knock on the glass a few times to attract her attention. Seong Im lifted her head and looked towards the direction where the sound came from. The corner of her lips gradually curved upwards and she waved at him. She glanced over at the clock before raising both of her hands towards him and spread out all ten fingers. She mouthed the words 'ten minutes' at him.

Hee Gun gestured an 'ok' sign to her and leaned against the metal road barrier by the sidewalk. Kwang Soo was the first to walk out from the café followed by Seong Im. She watched as he squat down to lock the door. He stood up and passed her the key.