Chapter Twenty Eight

After weeks of resting, Hee Gun's wound was almost completely healed. He kissed Seong Im on her cheek before she alighted from his car. She knocked on his car window seconds after she closed the door and waited for him to wind it down.

"Drive safely," She said and waved at him.

"I'll call you before coming over to pick you up," he waved back and drove off.

***

Soo Jin spotted Hee Gun walking in from the back of the garage and dropped whatever that he was doing and ran up to him. "Oh hyung! You're finally back! Do you know how much we missed you?" He wrapped his arm around Hee Gun's neck with the wrench still in his hand and dragged him to the front.

"Guys, look who's back!" He exclaimed. Kyung Ju and the other workers turned around to the sight of Hee Gun trying to remove Soo Jin's arm away from his neck.

"Yah! Where did you disappear to?" Kyung Ju joined in and hugged him so tightly that Hee Gun felt like he might suffocate any time.

Kyung Ju released his grip and ruffled Hee Gun's hair. "Yah! I was on medical leave. Why are you guys welcoming me back as though I just went on a long holiday?" Hee Gun said with a bewildered look on his face.

"To show you how much we missed you. Kyung Ju hyung was complaining everyday about how bad his life was without you." Soo Jin commented.

"You rascal, when did I say that?" Kyung Ju held Soo Jin in a headlock and rubbed his fist against the top of Soo Jin's head.

Not wanting to be involve in their 'conflict,' Hee Gun backed away from the duos. "Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome back. Dinner will be on me tonight." He said.

Loud cheers erupted from his colleagues. Hee Gun let out a chuckle at how excited they were and went to his station to get on with work.

***

Time passes so quickly that it was already way past dinner time when they were done with work. Hee Gun ordered food delivery and treated them to supper instead. He ordered a mixture of fried chicken and jajjangmyeon. While they were happily indulging in the free meal, Hee Gun walked away from the group and took out his phone to call Seong Im.

He glanced at his watch as he waited for her to answer.

"Oh, oppa."

"Are you done with work?" He could hear the sound of the coffee machine working in the background.

"Not yet. I'm quite busy now. Oppa, I'll call you when I'm done." Seong Im replied.

"Alright. I'll get you some food on the way."

"Hmm, okay. I'm hanging up." She said and ended the call.

He kept his phone tucked into his pocket and went back to chat with the guys. They were deciding to head to a pojangmacha for some soju. They were hoping that Hee Gun would tag along but he declined since he needed to send Seong Im home and he didn't want to be caught drink-driving. Once he was done with his supper, he left the garage to get some food for Seong Im.

Most restaurants were close and the only option available was the tteobokki stall by the roadside. He bought a set of spicy and non-spicy tteobokki, takeaway, and set off to her workplace. Just as he entered his car, he received a text message from Seong Im saying that she just ended work. He replied with a smiley face and told her to wait at the usual spot.

Since he has a car now, it helps to cut short the traveling time from his workplace to hers by about thirty minutes.

As he approached the cafe, he bent down slightly and leaned forward to look through the windscreen. Usually, he would see her standing by the roadside waiting for him but tonight, she wasn't there. He slowly pulled his car over at the roadside and drew up the hand brake. He called her twice but both times, the calls were directed to the voicemail. He unbuckled his seat belt and got out from his car with the bag of tteobokki in his hand. He paced about the front of the café with the phone place near his ear as he tried to dial for her.

The call finally got through and he heard heavy breathing from the other end of the line.

"Seong Im, where are you? I'm already here," he asked.

"Help me.." she whispered.

"What did you say?" Her voice was too soft to be heard over the phone.

"Someone is following me," she told him. She could feel the person behind her walking faster and faster as she quickened her pace.

His eyes widened, fearing that the organization was out to harm her again. "Where are you? Tell me exactly where are you!" Hee Gun tried to remain calm. He heard nothing for the next few seconds and then suddenly, there were thumping sounds coming from Seong Im.

"Answer me!" He shouted,  no longer able to keep the desperation within him.

"The carpark opposite- Let go of me! Who are you?!"

There was a loud, piercing scream and then the line went flat.