Chapter 5

For the rest of that night, Shiro stayed nearby Katie, no matter if she was dancing with someone else or conversing with a different group or Allura.

Katie was surprised at how calm and safe his presence made her feel, and she enjoyed him being so nearby, even after she had long finished crying and was over the subject of her broken family.

And when she yawned, he was by her side, his prosthetic on her back and his flesh hand hovering below her elbow. "Why don't we get you home now, hm?"

Katie smiled and shook her head. "It was just a yawn, Shiro. I'm fine."

"One yawn leads to more. You're tired. It's almost midnight, Pidge." Katie blinks, looking up at him, then her eyes shoot wide open.

"Midnight! I should have left an hour ago," she shouted, almost panicky as she snatched her phone from the table behind her and dashed towards the exit. Shiro ran after her.

"Pidge! Katie, slow down!" Shiro caught up to her rather quickly and pulled her to a stop. "Katie, what is it?"

She tried finding a way around him, but Shiro kept her blocked. "M-my mom! I-I can't leave her alone for too long!" Tears built back in her eyes again as she started to push him. "Please, I can't- I-"

"Hey," Shiro whispered, placing his hands on her arms. "Take a few breaths, okay?" Katie gulped and nodded, doing as asked. "Alright. I'll drive you home, okay? I'm sure your mother wouldn't want you panicking like this."

"Yeah," she murmured, breathing deeply. "Okay... I just... Mom will have another panic attack if I'm gone too long out of sceduale. They get so bad, and-"

Shiro cut her off. "It's okay, we'll get there. We're not too far. Go ahead and get in the car. I'll tell Allura that I'm taking you home, okay?" Katie nodded again. "Here," he handed her the keys to his car. "Remember where I parked?" Again, she nodded as she took the keys. "Alright. I'll be right there."

~

Once Shiro had gotten in the driver's seat, Katie took his hand, squeezing although Shiro didn't feel it. She held his prosthetic. Katie kept hold of his prosthetic as he drove, and he didn't dare attempt to take it from her. The petite girl fiddled with his prosthetic fingers, staring down at her lap.

"Katie..." Shiro glanced over at her, the silence unnerving. "Katie, say something."

She hummed. "Like what? Like about my mother?"

Shiro sighed. "You don't have to... You could talk about your dog. What's his name?"

Katie immediately smiled. "His name's Rover!" She bounced in her seat and the mood lifted. This brought a small smile to Shiro's face. "I found him about two years ago in an alley. Poor thing was so thin and mangy. He hated people. I would visit everyday, feeding him until he trusted me. Followed me home one day. Stayed with me since. Now he's an absolute sweetheart and loves everyone! Want to meet him? He'd love you, I'm sure!" Shiro chuckled.

"I don't want to over welcome my stay, Pidge."

"You won't! I promise! And since it's late, you could stay in our extra room. Mom won't mind, I'm sure. Rover won't, either." Katie grinned at him, her golden eyes sparkling up at him.

Shiro smiled and shook his head. "Alright, if you insist. Good thing I have an extra change of clothes in the back." Katie's grin widened. "Just this once."

"Of course! Just once!"

~

Shiro was hesitant as he stepped into Katie's house, swishing his head from side-to-side. He didn't see a dog or an older version of Katie.