TWO

Alden

"What's taking them so long Dad?" I asked. I am so excited to see Maine in her wedding gown. I haven't seen her since breakfast and I miss her terribly.

"Parating na yun anak. Maghintay ka lang." my dad said, patting my shoulder.

"Pero dad kanina pa tayo dito o." I said looking at my new watch one more time, a wedding gift from my lovely bride.

Audrey came to the bachelor's room while I was getting ready and handed me this square box. She said it's a gift from Maine and she wanted me to open it alone. And so I asked everyone to leave, while I read the card sitting on top of the box,

"RJ,
I know we said, no gifts, but I couldn't help myself. I chose this because I know that giving our time especially to people we love is precious. So may this remind you that I am giving you all my time now. I can't wait to marry you. I can't believe that in a few short hours, you will be truly mine, as I am yours.
I love you,
Maine"

I excitedly unwrap the gift revealing  a red Cartier box. Inside is a steel bracelet Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch. She knows that I love watches and I collect them, but this is going to be a very special watch from now on.

On the inside is an inscription that makes me grin. 

"I fell in love with you in Cape May"

It's the same inscription I put in the Cartier bracelet I gave her for Christmas.

She is really charming. 

God,  I really love that woman.

"Are you ready?"  John smiles and pats my back,  taking me out of my musings.

"Yes John I've been ready since the plane landed." He laughs as Steve walk towards us. John left and went to where my Dad and grandfather is sitting.

"You're really good for her, you know." Steve tells me.

I look at Steve's face. All of the Hanson's have always been welcoming and friendly towards  me, but I know the male have had their reservations, and as a male myself, I can't blame them. I will feel the same way if Riza will bring home a guy and introduced him as her boyfriend. They may not be related by blood but they really treat Maine as their own daughter and sister and I am glad.

"How so?" I asked him.

Steve sighs and looks back over to Matt and John, then back to me. "She's just happy. I've known her for a long time and I don't remember ever seeing her smile this much."

"I'm glad." I nod and smile to myself.

"But if you hurt her, or the baby," Steve continues, and I know what he's going to say, "I'm going to hurt your handsome face."

"No need, I'm not going to hurt her." I hold my hand out to shake his and he takes it, then pulls me into a guy hug. "So you think my face is handsome, huh?" I kidded.

"Welcome to the family, RJ."

"The girls are here." My dad said, patting my shoulder.

Steve and I look at the driveway of the church and the cars that carries the female entourage started pulling up.

"Finally." I whispered to myself, letting out a deep breath.