FIFTEEN

Maine

I look at the great room and smiled at my work - it is so festive.  The sixteen feet Christmas tree dominates the room.  It is sitting on the corner of the front floor-to-ceiling window and the decorative fireplace. 

The fireplace's mantle is covered with stockings and the stocking holders I brought from my mom's collection.  Evergreens, pine cones and  cinnamon sticks adorn the crown molding that surrounds the whole first floor; strings of Christmas lights are illuminating it.   

I breathe in the Christmas scent,  it's really not different from America, the only thing that's missing really is the snow. 

I place a copper basket of Autumn fruits on the credenza table that is holding a few snack items  that our guests can munch on while waiting.  On the spread is a tray of chocolate and caramel covered apples for the kids,  a bowl of Moose Munch, a board of different cheeses and dried fruits,  and  big dish of antipasti. 

I took a step back to check if everything is in place and patted my flowing above the knee dark blue skirt. 

Okay, everything's perfect. 

I walk to the dining room where the twenty two-seater dining table is all decked out with Thanksgiving goodies.  The decorations April and I bought looks so amazing on the table.  Two separate round tables were set up for the kids and young adults.  I prepared some activities for them they so they will not get bored when the adults are enjoying good food, good company, and of course amazing wine - which the latter I will not enjoy since I am still breastfeeding. 

The 20-pound turkey is still in the oven and will be done in an hour.  The fixings and cranberry sauce are all done.  I also prepared a honey glazed ham, a flank of grilled rosemary steak and a small crown of stuffed lamb roast.  Sides of mashed potatoes,  green beans with bacon, macaroni and cheese, roasted sweet potato casserole are all waiting to be dished and served.  The cornbread and dinner rolls are ready to be put in the oven, once our guests started arriving.  I have already instructed Lisa on what to do.  I was hands on preparing this dinner and I want everything to be perfect.

On the dessert table are all sorts of assorted pies - apple, sweet potato, pumpkin and key lime.  Rum cake with pecans is placed on a porcelain cake holder and a decadent raspberry chocolate cake dusted with sugar is what I used as the center piece of the dessert spread. 

"Babe, as always, you did an amazing job.  Our home is so festive and beautiful.  It reminded me of Victoria's Inn  when I had my very first Thanksgiving with you in Cape May."  My husband tells me as he hug me and kiss the back of my shoulders.  

"And," he continued, "I must say that you look absolutely beautiful."  He turns me so I am facing him.

"Thank you my love, you are so dashing yourself,  so perfect!"  I tell him, giving him a quick kiss on his lips, while adjusting the lapel of his coat. Of course he should look dashing,  I pick out his outfit for tonight - a white button down shirt under an Amani grey sport coat and a darker grey trousers.

"You, on the other hand, is almost perfect."  He tells me.

"Almost perfect?" I asked him, eyebrows raised.

"Yes because you are not wearing an earring." 

"Babe!  I asked you when I was dressing up, what earrings should I wear and you said don't wear any because it doesn't match my outfit!"  I whined, crossing my arms over my chest.