FOUR

Alden

"How are you feeling?"  I asked my wife. 

We just left the hotel where the Hanson's were billeted.  The van that I have arranged that will drive them to the airport, has already picked them up.

"I am good,  but better now that you are here."  She tells me, linking her arms around mine and leaning her face there.  We are both seated in the backseat of the van.

"Are you sad that the Hanson's left?"  I asked caressing her face with my other hand. I know she needed me right now.

"A little but it's going to happen anyway.  They will need to go home and go on with their lives."  She sighed.  I hate that she's feeling this way. 

"Although I really wish that Dawn and John will consider retiring here; I think that will be fun.  I did gave them an idea though that they don't have to "live" live here.  They can make this as their winter getaway. You know, most senior people live in Florida for the winter, so I told them why not make Philippines as their 'Florida', right?"  She said, hopeful.

I nodded in agreement.

"And I thought, that made John to consider it."  She continued.

"Well, maybe when it's time,  we'll pursue them more.  But for the meantime,  I am so excited to start my married life with you."

"I can't believe you're starting work tomorrow."  She murmurs. 

Oh, this just really breaks my heart. 

"Mahal ko,  we will be fine.  And knowing you,  I know you will find something to do right away!  Didn't you just made a coffee date with Pia?"   I said,  sounding upbeat. We had dinner at Pia'd house the other night and I really feel like her and Maine will become good friends.

"Yes,  and I am excited about that.  But that's not until Tuesday, it's only Friday."  She whined.

"Well,  actually, that's the reason why,  I am giving you a surprise!"  I tell her beaming.

"Really?   I have a surprise?"  She said beaming.   Her eyes light up and she really looks excited. 

If there is one thing I love about my wife, she is so easy to please.  She's not into material things.  I remember when we met my family for lunch, the next day after we flew in, Riza gave her a bag of macapuno candies and she shrieked with happiness. 

"Yes, I do have a surprise for you babe."  I tell her again.

"Well, where is it?"  She said, looking around the van.  "MamaTen do you have it?"  MamaTen is sitting shotgun.

"Not with me Maine."  He said, shrugging.

"Yeah right MamaTen, there is a smirk on your face, I know that you knew something." She asked him, her eyebrows raised.

MamaTen looked at her poker faced.

"Just wait for it okay?"  I tell her, pulling her tighter against me, kissing the top of her head,  taking her all in.  "You just have to wait, we are almost there."

"Are we really almost there? Or can I still take a little nap?" She asks me, rubbing the side of her head on my arm.

I drape my arms around her so she can be more comfortable. I love it when she is all clingy.