~*~ Chapter 7 ~*~

Rain drops dripped off of Charles's top hat.

He stood there calm as could be. Hadrian stood frozen. Worry starting to creep into his mind.

" Officers of the police force, sir. May we speak with you?"

" I suppose so. Badges first though."

The voice replied once again.

Hadrian and Charles grabbed their badges showing them.

The door opened revealing small, gentle face. His brown long fur was twisted in all directions. Black fur creeped up from his short muzzle and touched his black nose. The fur atop of his brown eyes made a arch way showing his fragile and old face. The small cap that rested upon his head also looked old. The googles slightly cracked.

He pulled back the door.

As Hadrian and Charles entered Hadrian could already see the poverty in the medium sized apartment. A candle was the only light in the dim room. The clothes barely visible on the gentleman. His clothes wrinkled and old also covered in some holes.

Three chairs sat alone at a wooden table. A old kitchen stood helpless. The wallpaper walls were covered in stains. Another candle was on the counter.

" Sit down and make it quick." He grumbled.

He himself sat down. 

Charles took off his hat resting it on the table.

Hadrian was already soaked by the time he sat down from outside.

" Name, sir?" Charles said.

" Merek Reef." He said reluctantly.

" Have you heard or seen or any suspicious ac-" Charles was cut off.

" You are looking for the Silent Killer aren't you?"

There was a silence.

" Yes." Hadrian finally said.

Merek burst out laughing.

" You two? Come on, you two both realize that going after him like this will get you nowhere! He is the best of the best, the skilled of the skilled, the deadliest of the deadliest."

" You will die if you go after him."

" And how do you know this?" Charles challenged.

" I have heard of him going around and killing people. Hearing from escaping witnesses . Where do you think a witness goes when they escape?" Merek said leaning forward sneering.

" Then send us to someone who will help us, and train us."

" No, first you are going to need a place to stay. I am willing to give you that space. That is what counts. You must stay in the shadows at all cost. Veer away from being leaked." 

" Make yourselves comfortable boys, you will be staying here for a while." 

Will this really be the end of me?

Hadrian could hear the pouring rain once more.

The candles continued to flicker.