~*~ Chapter 15~*~

Hadrian sat on the stone steps.

His hands were glued together. His gold fur tugged on by the blistering wind.  A young woman walked through the wind. Her hat flew off her head. Hadrian stood. Charles then walked out a few minutes later. Hadrian ran forward, sweeping up the hat.

" Here, miss." He responded.

She smiled.

" Thank you, sir." Charles nodded. He glanced around. Other dogs started to smile. Himself included.

Hadrian, Charles, and Merek sat at the wooden table.

It had been a few hours since that incident. Merek sipped his water. His fists tightened. 

Then, a knock was heard at the door. Hadrian sat in his seat eating his bread. Charles stood walking to the door. " May we come in?" Hadrian stood. " Sure, officers." Charles replied moving aside. His eyes were full of suspicion. The two bull dogs glanced around quickly. Hadrian closed the door. 

" You all are under arrest." One of them said. He adjusted his top hat.  " Why!?" Hadrian said, his eyes narrowing. Charles bared his teeth. " You won't know the real answer." Suddenly, one of the men pulled out a golden revolver. He snarled before getting ready to shoot. " I knew you two were not real officers!" Hadrian bellowed.

Charles leaped pinning one of them. Hadrian began to sprint toward the other. Merek moved his feet, shuffling. 

The bulldog's eyes gleamed with happiness.

A bullet flew from the gun.

" Me-" Hadrian tried to call out.

The old australian terrior collapsed. Hadrian shoved the bulldog  to the ground knocking him out with a single blow. The gun lay on the floor. Merek heaved for breath. " Merek!" Hadrian said rushing over soon after.

Charles held onto the other bulldog.

Blood started to pool. Hadrian got onto his knees. His pants and hands starting to be covered with blood. Merek's eyes were now glossy. " Hadrian.." Merek said weakly. 

" Shh.. shh.. save you're breath."

" No, no.. no time.." 

Tears started to form in Hadrian's eyes. 

Merek lifted his hand weakly, reaching out. Hadrian grabbed it instantly. " Th-Thank you, for giving me and this community something we have not seen in a long time. Thank you. Y-You and Charles will do great in the world... I-I know it.." Hadrian shook his head.

" No! There will be a tomorrow. Charles can go get help. Hold on!" Hadrian wailed.

" No.. my time.. my time is up. I have have lived long and well.. stay strong, Hadrian.." The old dog's eyes began to close. His chest stopped moving.

Hadrian's vest, pants, hands, and shirt was now drizzled in some blood.

Charles sat. The bulldog heaved for breath.

Hadrian sat there emotionless.