Chapter Two: The Voyage

"You...what?" Nico asked, surprised.

"I thought about how you wanted to explore the ocean, so I scheduled a cargo ship to take you to England and back, but only for one exception," the King of Italy told him.

"What is the exception, Father?"

"Once you get back, a wedding will begin to be scheduled," King Hades said. "Yours."

"Who shall I get wed to?" Nico asked, masking his disappointment so he didn't ruin his opportunity.

"To Princess Reyna Avila Ramirez-Arellano of Spain," his father replied.

Nico could hear Leo's voice in his head, cheering and shouting, "I knew it!" Nico rolled his eyes at the thought of his friend practically doing cartwheels, like he always did when he guessed something right.

"Queen Bellona of Spain had accepted our peace treaty in return for you to be betrothed to her daughter, Princess Reyna, so that will be in order," the king continued.

"I shall accept the offer," Nico agreed. "However, I'm only doing it for the voyage."

"That is exactly what I knew I would hear, but, son, we have no choice." Hades sat next to his son, who was sitting in his throne. "It is either you get married to the Princess of Spain, or war and ruin is the fate of our country. Do it for Italy, for the people, not for some ridiculous voyage. That is all I ask of you."

"I will try," Nico sighed. "What do I've got to lose?"

"That's the spirit!" the King of Italy grinned. "Now, your ship leaves tomorrow, and we are to get you packed for the voyage. You will be back in a week or so, so that gives you enough time to think over your wedding and future ruling of this country. Now, the servants shall help you, tell them what you need, understood?" Nico nodded. "All right, off you go."

Nico pranced up the stairs and into his room, accidentally closing the door loudly behind him. He plopped onto his bed in a sitting position, still pondering about what he wanted to bring. "Clothes, of course," he thought. "Perhaps a couple of my maps, a journal to write my observations in, quills and ink..." He continued to make a list of what he would bring, blissfully forgetting about his fate when he would get back to the kingdom; his betrothal and ruling.

After he had made a mental list of what to bring, he strained to pull the heavy trunk from under his bed, so he could pack his intended items. After a few attempts, he had finally managed to drag the large trunk out from under his bed. He unlatched it, opened the lid, and looked for the things on his list in his room to pack into the trunk. He collected and placed a week's worth of clothes on the bottom of the large, empty trunk. He scoured his room, looking for books, maps, blank parchment, quills, ink, everything he could make use of on his very exciting journey.

The fifteen-year-old prince's packing was interrupted by a gentle, subtle knock on the door to his large bedroom, the door creaking open a small amount. He looked at the semi-ajar door to see the elegant and grand Queen Persephone, his stepmother. She gave him a sickeningly sweet smile. "Good afternoon, Nico, I hope you will have a nice voyage."

"Um, thank you, ma'am," he replied.

"I was the one who suggested it, and I hope you will think about your betrothal and Italy while you are gone, it will be an excellent job for you, Nico," she told him. "You will be such a good king, you are responsible, intelligent, and a great leader. You have always been."

"Thank you," he said again.

"Do you need any help packing, Nico? I can call a servant up here-"