Chapter Twenty-Nine: Adventure Awaits

The crew awoke the next morning to the mouth-watering aroma of Piper's cooking. It lured them to the kitchen and to the table, sitting around it and waiting expectantly to be served. The pleasant smell even roused Percy and Nico from the Captain's Quarters before noon, and, soon, they all sat together as Piper brought the steaming bowl before them.

The siren slapped away the captain's wandering fingers that tried to sneak their way into the food, and Nico laughed. It was just like old times, when he first joined the crew. It seemed so long ago, he could hardly remember what his life was like before. Percy finally got his food and immediately dug in, but not before pressing a kiss to Nico's temple. 

The afternoon was captured in the throes of celebration--of Piper's return, and resuming of the hunt for Kronos' legendary treasure. The sounds of Bramble's panpipes and Tyson's drums filled the mid-afternoon air, as well as the smells of sweet rum and food. The majority were drunken before sunset. 

Percy danced with Nico, spinning him around, but he wasn't in danger of throwing up yet. 

Piper and Jason tore across the dance floor, sometimes chasing each other, sometimes dancing, and the rest could only watch and laugh their strange antics. 

Bramble now decided on making the fire in the lanterns move with her panpipes, an ability that Hazel suggested was elemental magic, but Bramble reasoned that it was just the pipes' ability to commune with nature, like most satyr artifacts. 

Nico often forgot how young Bramble really was, especially to be travelling by herself. 

"It's tradition. Once satyrs reach a certain age, they are to wander the world to reach an understanding of how much our forests need to be protected. However, I got captured by some trappers and was sent around as a curiosity, interrupting my journey. I eventually escaped and snuck onboard the Princess Andromeda, which at the time I didn't realize was a pirate ship. Frank protected me and kept me safe from the pirates. I stayed for a while, because we travelled to so many different places and helped me see the world. Then, I came here." 

She continued her fire trick with her panpipes, and everyone else decided it was a time for stories.

Nico explained his whole situation, and everyone cheered afterwards, with Percy even issuing a kiss that was longer than appropriate, given their current company. He smiled sheepishly, again being reminded of how much he truly belonged here, with his family. 

Despite it being a year since he first boarded the Black Coral, he felt as if he knew these people his whole life. 

Leo and Percy went on to tell their stories, and a few new ones added in that Nico never knew. 

"When I was born, my mother tried to give me as an offering to the king, but she was refused," Jason began. "Instead, she turned to drink and my sister raised me. We scrounged for food in small villages until I was old enough to work. Then, we were separated, unwillingly, of course. I searched for her until I met Percy at the Devil's Port, and I joined his crew."

"My mother and I worked as servants in Spain, to the princess," Annabeth said, catching Nico's attention. "I was closest to her in age, so we got on quite well. Then, when we were thirteen, we got into a little trouble at the docks. My mother and I were removed from the castle, and we were forced to move on. My mother died a year or two later, and I moved on to study maps. I dressed as a man and joined a sailing trip. We ended up marooned on an island. Everyone died in the wreck but me. Soon, I saw a ship in the distance and I called for it by setting fire to the trees. It was Percy, if you haven't guessed by now. If he hadn't come to rescue me, I would've been dead for sure."