Chapter Eleven: A Witch Doctor's Morals

Sailing through the smooth waters of the ocean was calming, in Nico's opinion. He loved feeling the salty breeze against his skin, the pure smell of the ocean lingering. In absolutely no way did he miss home. It smelled foul and there was not enough hours of the day to do everything he wanted. If he snuck out at night, he would surely be caught and punished.

Nico leaned against the railings on the bow of the ship, feeling the breeze rustle through his hair and caress his face lightly. It was a perfect day.

"Nico," Percy called to him softly.

Nico turned around, a content smile on his face. "Yes, Captain?"

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Yes, sir."

"Do you mind if I join you?" asked the captain.

"No," Nico replied, looking back at the shimmering waters.

Percy stood next to him, imitating Nico's position and leaning against the railings.

"It is beautiful, is it not?" Nico asked the captain.

"The ocean?"

Nico nodded.

"Yes, it is very beautiful," he answered, his gaze directed back at the prince. "Are you alright?"

"I have hardly been better," Nico smiled, not taking his eyes off of the sea. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason," Percy told him. "Although, I have hardly paid attention to the ocean, and now that you mention its beauty, I am now noticing it as I once did as a child."

"Well, being a child is so simple," Nico responded. "No one's expectations are high, and you are free to do as you please for the time being."

"I agree, being a child is so much easier." Percy looked from the ocean and back to the prince, whose inky hair was slightly rustled by the everyday afternoon zephyr, but on him it looked stunning.

"However, we are at sea, and we have no expectations now," Nico smiled, looking over at Percy, who looked away quickly to avoid being caught staring. "I have begun to enjoy being a pirate."

"There are many drawbacks to being a pirate," Percy spoke. "But the perks are worth it, in the end. You are free from society's strangling hands and are free on open waters, pillaging other's ships and searching for riches. When you die of disease, dehydration, starvation, or find your neck in a noose, hanging over the harbor, you know everything was worth it."

"Society's strangling hands?" Nico repeated.

"If you know me well, you would know that I get along with mostly anyone, but I do not like being around large groups of people often," Percy answered. "I do not like people forcing things upon me, nor expecting me to conform with everyone else."

"I understand," Nico told him, causing Percy to raise an eyebrow at him. "However, how are you sure that everything is worth it once you die?"

"Well, life is what life is," Percy grinned, his sea green orbs glistening with mischief. "It must be lived to its fullest. Not all treasure is silver and gold."

Percy winked at him, and Nico could feel heat rush into his face.

"Ay, you two," Jason called, causing the two boys to turn around and face the first mate. "Captain, Hazel says we are almost there."

"Almost where?" Nico asked.

"As if I know," Jason shrugged, taking a swig from his flask. "I only know that apparently she lives in a swamp, so we will have to take the longboats."