Chapter Twenty-One: A Devious Strategem

Percy and the rest of the crew of the Black Coral were stunned momentarily. The boisterous and obnoxious tavern seemed as if it grew silent around them as Luke pulled his blade—once silver but now crimson—from the back of his newly deceased father.

Before the captain knew it, his rival had directed the tip of the weapon at his neck, pressing sharply enough against his skin to feel little bits of blood trickling out of the fresh, but small wound.

The crew looked hypnotised when Nico glanced at them. Their faces were pale with dread and their eyes full of shock. It looked like they were in a trance. Nico was the first to wake as he completely acknowledged what situation they were in.

"Percy! What in the world are you doing?" Nico demanded as he drew his cutlass from his belt.

Percy looked at him with wide eyes. He knew that Luke did not intend on killing him. If someone else was in his way, they would be murdered as mercilessly as Luke killed Hermes. "Nico, no."

Nico slightly lowered his cutlass. "What?"

"Put your sword back."

"I cannot just let you die!"

Percy merely smiled at him. "I would never die this easily."

"Then why are you not fighting back?"

Percy ignored the last question, turning away from his lover's confused face, and looked Luke directly in his cold, lifeless eyes. "Your intentions are not to kill me. If they were, you would have done it by now, as I am currently in a vulnerable state. I believe you expect me to request parlay?"

Luke nodded slowly.

"Did your master or madam order you to capture me alive?"

He nodded again.

"Well," Percy grinned, feeling for Riptide strapped at his belt. "If you know me well, you know I'm not going down without a fight."

Percy kicked under Luke's ankles to stun him momentarily by sending him to the floor, quickly getting back on his feet and standing up, his sword prepared for battle. He waited for Luke to leap back up to fight.

Nico saw that the captain's opponent was ruthless and had many weak spots, one being his back as he did not focus on his surroundings—only his target. He saw his chance. However, once he was about to interfere, Jason held him back by swinging his arm in front of him.

"Nico, he has something planned. Let him do what he does."

"But two against one would give Percy more of a chance of winning," argued Nico. "I could overwhelm him from the back. He's not focused on his surroundings. If I attack him from the back, then Percy—"

"No," responded Jason, his arm not moving. "Captain told you not to. Respect his wishes."

Nico looked at the first mate, pure lividity residing in his dark eyes.

"We need to help him, or else he could be killed. You know how ruthless and merciless Luke is! Do you not want to assist your captain?"

"He can accomplish tasks by himself," barked Jason. "Are you underestimating him?"

"No, of course not!" Nico glared at him. "I just don't wish pain nor death upon him."

"He has a plan," Jason growled quietly, only for Nico's ears to hear. "You interfering will ruin it. Assist only if he tells you to, aye?"

Nico's gaze fell back on the fight, which the drunks in the bar had now put their focus on. Nico saw the look in Percy's eyes as he fought, and that reassured his confidence in the captain's abilities. The twinkle of mischief in his eyes told Nico that he did, indeed, have a plan and was just waiting for the right opportunity to act on it.