Chapter Nine: The Devil's Port

"Come about!" Percy shouted at his crew, glancing upon his compass. The sun was in its highest peak in the skies, marking the day to be at about noon. "We are about thirty leagues south of Ireland! We need to get to The Devil's Port by dusk, or else we will dance the hempen jig!"

"Aye, aye, Captain!" Piper replied. "However, we need to be careful. On my swim this morning, I saw a reef dangerously close to the surface."

"Sharp eyes, Piper," Percy praised. "Hazel! Have you checked upon the prince yet?"

"No, I have not," Hazel told him. "I should do that."

She creaked open the door that led to the Captain's Quarters, peeking in at the sleeping prince. She thought he looked really peaceful as he slept. His eyelashes were so desirably long; they fluttered in his slumber and cast long, thin shadows upon his cheeks.

"Your highness," she called, shaking his shoulder slightly. "It is about noon; you should wake up."

Nico opened his eyes slowly and lifted himself into a sitting position, rubbing the exhaustion from his eyes with the back of his hands. However, he only felt a slight pain in his chest as he sat, a small smile of satisfaction appearing on his face in result.

"Are you feeling better?" Hazel asked.

"Yes, I am feeling much better, thank you," Nico grinned. "Perhaps I will be able to join you at the Devil's Port tonight."

Hazel's face fell. "It is not a very friendly place. I would not be excited to arrive there, if I were you."

"Why not?" Nico inquired. "Does it smell?"

"Well, yes, that too," Hazel said. "But it is full of pirates and thieves and really shameful women that request to be paid to interact with men in a way that people only should do after marriage."

"Oh." Nico's expression changed to a grimace. "Do not worry, I will not commence in...that, thank you very much."

"Good," Hazel smiled. "Percy is not a fan of The Devil's Port, either, but there is where we get most of our supplies. There is fresh water there, and plenty of food. Also, we can hear who has been hanged recently or which crew held a mutiny to their captain, etcetera. It is our source of information on what goes on in the world. You must be part of the top gossip: the prince of Italy that suddenly disappeared."

"Unfortunately, that must be true," Nico sighed. "However, as a new member of your crew, I would like to accompany you. Captain says that I am skilled with a sword, I want to be able to use one."

"Speaking of using a sword, come with me," Hazel told him, beckoning him to come with her.

Nico obeyed, following her through the main deck and toward the captain.

"Ah, your highness, you are able to move about," Percy grinned. "Are you in any pain? If ye be in pain, please go lie down, as I told you not to strain yourself."

"I am not in any pain, thank you, Captain," Nico responded. "And I prefer Nico to your highness, anyway."

"Nico?" Percy asked. "That is your name?"

"Yes, Captain," Nico nodded. "That's my name. Nico di Angelo."

"Well, I find meself flattered to be on a first-name-basis with the prince of Italy," the captain teased, offering his hand. "My name is Perseus Jackson, but my friends call me Percy or just Captain. Captain Jackson to the people who hate me."

Nico laughed slightly, taking his hand and shaking it just as jokingly. "I am honored to be of your acquaintance, Captain."

"Well, Nico, we need to give you something to wear for shoes, ye think?" Percy inquired.