Checkmate

This chapter was writte by me, Jane! :) It's almost three thousand words long so be happy :)

Please give feedback and vote please.

:)

Check out my co-writer's stories as well on her pages! She's the one the chapter is dedicated to.

I watched the couple drive away in their little car, staring at each other happily. I felt a flash of envy at their obvious love for each other. Carter had been nicer since the attacks but I didn’t believe for one second that I would last. Didn’t mean I couldn’t enjoy it while it lasted of course.

The ring of the phone inside the house broke me from my musings, “oh!” I exclaimed as I ran into the house and was able to pick up the phone by the third ring. Breathing heavily, I put my hand on my chest and carefully said, “Annabella’s bed and breakfast, this is Annabella speaking how I may help you?”  My tone was light and welcoming, my first phone in customer!

“Hi, we saw your advertisement on yelp and saw that the people who stayed their gave full ratings and a good review while they were still there because they liked you so much so I was wondering do you have enough rooms for 2 couples and 3 young children to stay for 2 nights?” A pleasant voice asked, making me smile in anticipation.

“Yes! Of course!” I replied, “I just added horseback riding and the lake is open for swimming as well.” My heart gave a throb but I knew that adding swimming would bring more customers.

“Ohhhh! That’s wonderful!” The women exclaimed, “We would like to reserve it for starting at 6 tonight, do you have dinner service?”

I grinned, “Yes, is there anything special you’d like to eat?”

It was quiet for a second, “Well, I think we’d enjoy a classic southern dinner if it isn’t too much trouble?”

I laughed, “I was executive chef for a few years at a very upscale restaurant, don’t worry at all it will be ready at 6:20 to give you some time to settle into the rooms.”

When we hung up I wrinkled my nose, I better get my room cleaned up in case someone barged into there on accident. Carefully I scrubbed every inch of my floor and bed frame, checking every crevice for blood.  Once I was satisfied that every trace was gone, I changed the sheets and scrubs the floors in the guest bedrooms. From the attic I pulled down 2 small trundle beds and cleaned the sheets on them as well.

I had six hours till they got here and I needed to get cooking. Downstairs I pulled open the meat drawer in the fridge and pulled out the bag of chicken breasts and thighs and legs and set them carefully on the counter.

Then I grabbed 4 cans of Pork n Beans and drained them and put them into a large pot on the stove. Carefully I added chopped salt pork, brown sugar, molasses, salt, dry mustard, black pepper,  and ketchup into the pot and set it to simmer on low, it would be tender and flavorful by the time they got there.

In my tea drawer I pulled out my box of family sized Luzianne Orange Pekoe tea and set it next to my large tea kettle.   Carefully I added 3 of the tea bags into the water I’d poured into the tea kettle and turned it on. While it boiled I added cold water to my pretty pitcher I’d serve the tea in and set it to the side.

The kitchen was staring to smell amazing from the beans and tea and my mouth started watering.  I rushed up stairs and stripped off my clothes, tossing them in the laundry chute.  In my bathroom I stared at the full tube for a second then shook my head and reached into the cloudy water and pulled the stop. In my mind images flashed of me on top of Rick, holding his head under, the feeling of my hands around his neck, the cool feeling of the water on my skin while he thrashed wildly.