→13

Just as Liana said, we'll be having dinner with Mom and Dad later tonight. I felt hesitant and all.

I knew something's off with my parents, they've been fighting too often before I moved to my apartment. It's as if they're a few steps closer to divorce.

I spaced out again for the fourth time at work and Levi kept scolding me. But then, I felt a familiar hand touch my shoulder.

"[f/n]"

I jumped, surprised before turning to see Eren. I blushed a little.

"Eren...what is it?" I said, trying hard to break from my spaced out condition.

Eren tilted his head, his eyebrows furrowed in worry "Are you alright?"

That's a question that caused many to lie.

"Y-yeah, I am. Maybe it's the hangover" I chuckled and tried covering up my anxiety but Eren didn't look convinced.

Fortunately, he didn't ask any further.

"Okay. But take it easy okay? Can't have the shorty scolding you around like a kid" Eren chuckled.

"Got a problem with short, Jaeger?"

On cue, Levi walked by where we were and Eren immediately shut his mouth.

"Pfft...haha"

★★★

After work, I head straight, not to my apartment, but to my house. Home.

But after the fights Mom and Dad had, I couldn't quite call the place 'home'

Some nights I would stay up, listening to their pointless quarrels while comforting my little brother, Archie.

He would cry and I would hold him, telling him that everything will be alright, knowing that it won't until this problem is solved.

I parked my car in front of the familiar house I grew in. I turned off the engine and just sat there on the driver's seat, aimlessly staring at the house.

I'm afraid that Mom and Dad would fight again. I'm afraid that this family dinner will just be another medium of their issues and arguements.

I took a deep breath and pushed my anxiety aside. Stepping out of the car, I walked up to the front door and unlocked it with my key.

★★★

When I entered, Mom was the first to greet me. What had me worried is she looked so much more stressed than the last time I saw her.

Liana went down the stairs, all smiles when she saw me.

"Hey, beotch" she chuckled and I did so myself. We embraced before I saw Archie going down the stairs.

"Sis!" He jumped from the last step and I caught him immediately mid-air.

"Hey there, Arch!" He seemed to lose weight. He got lighter on the weight and I grew worried if Mom or Dad is giving him food enough.

After a bit of our small family reunion, we went to the dining room.

Most of our favorite foods were laid out on the table and we settled down on our usual seats. I felt nostalgic all of a sudden, but something was missing...

"Where's Dad?" I asked, silencing everyone.

Mom looked down, as if the plate in front of her was interesting.

"He...couldn't make it..."

"What?!" All of us three said simultaneously.

"But anyway, let's just eat. The food will get cold"