Reckless.

Footsteps.

Slow, unsteady, unsure.

Footsteps.

Approaching her. Cautiously. Uncertainly.

She knew he was coming. But she didn't turn around.

In a few seconds he stood right next to her. She did not look at him.

'Where were you last night?'

Her hair hung around her face like a curtain. Like a shield. She said nothing.

He sat down next to her. His eyes never left hers. He never did see the sunset she was looking at. He missed it altogether. He was too busy looking at his own sun. His own sunset.

She sighed and brought her feet closer to her body.  'I was out.'

His eyes searched hers. Begging them not to shut him out.

'I was worried.'

She looked at him carefully. 'I don't know why you bother with me.'

He closed his eyes and looked away. 'I don't know why you don't know.'

She shook her head and looked away. 'You were right.'

He was confused. 'About what?'

She wrapped her arms around herself. 'You and me.'

He wanted to hold her, touch her, make her realise that what he had said was stupid. That he regrets every word. That he would take it all back. He wanted to beg for another chance.

But he said nothing. Instead, he watched her. He waited.

She unconsciously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. He saw the bruise.

His blood turned to ice. The air turned cold. He wanted to scream. Who the fuck had hit her like that?

Forgetting himself, he reached out a hand and brushed her cheek. His fingers slipped past the blue-black pattern that should never have been there in the first place.

She flinched. It hurt.

She turned her face away. Hiding. Cursing herself.

'Who did this to you?' Blood pounded in his ears as his heart thrashed against his ribs.

She shook her head and shrugged. 'It doesn't matter. It doesn't hurt.'

He gently pressed his finger on the bruise. She winced and caught his hand.

'I thought you said that it doesn't hurt,' he demanded. She flinched again.

He wanted to draw her close to him. He wanted to kiss it better. He wanted to take away her pain. He wanted her. He wanted her so badly that it hurt. But she would push him away. And it was his fault. His fucking fault.

She still clutched his hand in his. 'I got into a fight. You should have seen the other guy.'

She chuckled sadly. She was tearing his heart into pieces. Why didn't she see all the blood she had spilled? Why couldn't she see him?

'It was Nick wasn't it?' he said. He waited for her to contradict him.

She did not.

It was like she did not have the energy to defend anything anymore. That made him mad.

'Fuck. June. Why?' He grit his teeth as he moved closer towards her.

She did not push him away. His heart beat was to fast. She was too dangerous. But he didn't care.

'I refused to do his homework. He's failing Chemistry. They won't let him continue playing till he gets a decent grade. I said no. He lost his shit a bit. It's okay,' she said. 'No harm done.'

He didn't know what came over him. He didn't know what it was. Maybe it was the way their arms brushed against each other. Maybe it was the way that she was still holding his hand like her life depended on it. Maybe it was the way her eyes blazed with a light that almost blinded him. Maybe it was the way she held herself. Strong. Patient. A little bit tired. Maybe it was the way he missed her. God, me missed her so fucking much. Maybe it was the way he remembered her smile. Maybe it was the sun. Maybe there was something about that place. That time.

But he leaned forward. And she did not lean back.

He pressed his lips to her cheek and he felt her lean into him. He kissed the bruise again and he knew that she had closed her eyes. He kissed her forehead and tucked her hair behind her ear. She rested her head on his shoulder as he pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her. He felt her body relax against his. He felt her trust. He felt her.

'You're beautiful,' he whispered as the sun finally died down.

He loved her. Truly, completely, recklessly.