Chapter 3: Winter

(ERIC'S P.O.V.)

It was early in the morning when the first snow flake fell. All around was a white rain. White has my favorite color. When it snows everything looks as if I were in heaven.

It's not all that great though. The snow means the beginning of a week of hunt. Pledges like me are given different prey every day for a week and we hunt it. The different prey is meant to test all our skills like agility, strength, intelligence. That really wasn't the bad part. The bad part was that most of the prey were trained hunters. Not the usual prey.

I guess I'll just wait till tonight. The day will be long. Most of the school will be reviewing for semester finals two weeks from now.

It was still quite early in the morning. A walk to school couldn't hurt. That's when I noticed an amazingly beautiful voice. In front was someone singing the lyrics to Fireflies by Owl City. I got caught in the beauty of it when suddenly the song changed. The voice was still as beautiful as before but now there was anger in it.

I recognized the song but not by who it was.

I decided that as a conversation starter I would ask what the song was called.

"Hey dude, that's a pretty cool voice you have." When I got close I saw who it was. Kyle had a very sweet voice.

"..."

Silence, oh great now what did I do? Kyle glanced at me then kept walking. Then unexpectedly I grabbed his hand. I have no idea why but I just did.

"Thank you"

I looked around but no one was near us. I looked at Kyle but he remained unchanged. My other me even asked if I had let something slip me.

"Thanks"

This time those words were eminating from Kyle. When I looked back at him I swear he blushed, and ah, a very first smile. Then he pulled his hand from mine.

"Well you're welcome."

I felt my own cheeks redden.

"Look dude, I'm sorry about yesterday. I really hope you're ok. I got wori.." I stopped. My words stopped me. What was I saying?

Kyle on the other hand didn't react the same. His face turned pale and empty. This sounds cliché but it really was as if he had seen a ghost.

"..."

Kyle started walking faster away from me. It was as if he was getting away from something, or someone.

"Kyle wait up. Look, I'm sorry."

I easily caught up to him and grabbed his hand again. I pulled him to me so close that I could feel his heart's warmth on my chest. When I thought that he was easing, he wasn't.

Before I knew it my butt was on the floor. Nico and his pack had caught up to us and now I was on the floor. Kyle was no were to be seen.

"Don't hurt him!"

My thoughts were on Kyle. I tried kicking and screaming but my attempts to get free were useless.

"Who the hell are you talking about!?"

Nico.

That's when I noticed that Kyle wasn't around. At all. It was as if he had disappeared.

"Good luck on the hunt tonight," Nico said with a sinister laugh. Thinking about Kyle completely made me forget I was getting hit by Nico.

"Did you hear me?"

I was left a bloody mess on the floor. The pain was overwhelming. Then out of no where Kyle is back. He helped me up so I could breath.