First Loves

"So you mean to tell me they were lying to me the whole time? You weren't dating Namjoon hyung? Then why were you with him in the hallways? What was that I saw? Why didn't you come after me? Why-"

"One at a time! Aish seriously."

I kept on walking and he followed quietly.

"...So um..when will you answer my questions?" he asked with a puzzling face.

I pushed my hair back and looked at him.

""No I'm not dating Namjoon. What you saw was me telling him the truth. Those girls who lied to you also lied to him. I almost fell and he grabbed me before I did. That's all it was really. And I did was going to run after you but...I couldn't," I stated.

"Ahh so he saved you from embarrassing yourself. Well next time it should be me. So if you're gonna fall, fall in front of me okay?" he said smiling brightly.

"Pshh you have reflexes too? I never knew," I teased.

"Of course! Look at this," he said while flexing his arms.

I laughed at his silliness.

"So why did you still finish the art piece if you heard what those girls said about me?" I asked curiously.

"Hmmm. Because," he said while grabbing ahold of my hand.

"Because?"

"Why didn't you run after me?" he said again.

"Because," I replied.

He looked at me and frowned.

"I finished it because despite what they said, it wasn't from you. I would've believed it if I heard it from you. That's also why I came back earlier. Only your words can convince me of the truth," he said looking straight ahead with a serious expression. "If I was going to get rejected by the girl I loved most, I wanted to hear it from her mouth and not someone else's."

I stared at him and then looked down at the ground.

"I couldn't run after you because...because of Namjoon. After you left, he confessed to me," I said quietly.

"What did you say?" he asked in his deep serious voice.

"Nothing. He didn't want to hear it. He wanted me to think about it. Why are you boys so stubborn about listening?" I asked.

"We're still humans Y/N, we don't want to get hurt just like you girls. It takes a lot of confess you know?"

"I know. I'm going to have to tell him tomorrow. The sooner the better but I'm scared to hurt him," I said honestly.

"It's okay. I'm here for you. Namjoon looks like a good guy. I'm sure he'll understand you," he said kindly.

"Taehyung-ah, do you think it would effect our friendship?"

"Not sure," he answered briefly.

"Would it bother you if we stayed friends?"

"...I won't lie and say no. But I trust you. You're an idiot so you have to know that you're mine and mine only. Got that?" he said as he pulled me closer to him and curled his arm around me.

"Tae. Did you know you were my first love? Everyday my heart still beats like crazy for you," I confessed.

"I know the feeling. I had it with my first love as well," he said.

I was shocked and frowned at his response.

"Who?! You never told me before," I asked.

"Mmm someone," he said.

"Tell me!"

"Noooope," he said teasingly.

"Fine," I said as I pushed his arm off me.

"Are you mad? Jealous?" he asked in satoori.

I continued walking and ignoring him.

"Did you know that ever since we were kids, I wanted to be your prince charming? That's why I loved protecting you. I wouldn't just do that for anyone," he said.

"So?"

"So. I did it for my first love," he said stopping in front of me. He lowered his head and kissed me on the cheeks.

"K-Kim Taehyung!" I said while cupping my cheek. "You're such a bully!"

"For my girlfriend only," he said smiling.

We ran around, chasing one another. Then I knew, I guess first loves can have good endings too.

The Next Day

I had to tell Namjoon. As much as it scares me to hurt him. He deserves to know. I decided to tell him before school started because I didn't want him to hear it from someone else that Taehyung and I were now dating. I texted him earlier to meet me by the courtyard so that's where I'm heading now. When I reached there I saw him standing there looking at the sky. He's a beautiful man who deserves a beautiful girl.

"Oh Y/N you're here!" he said smiling.

"Good morning Namjoon," I said quietly.

"What did you want to talk about?"

"The truth is...well, you're a great guy and I really appreciate your feelings for me but I think we should just stay friends. I'm actually-"

"You're with him now aren't you?"

I looked up at him in surprise.

"Don't worry. I figured it would turn out this way. But I'm happy for you. If he ever hurts you, let me know. Jhope and I will take care of it," he said smiling and ruffling my hair. "Well, I'll see you later in class."

And with that he walked away, he didn't even look back. I'm sorry Namjoon, I thought. You will find someone better than me, I know it.

Namjoon's P.O.V

I saw it coming. She didn't even have to say anything, it was in her eyes and the way she looked at me. Yesterday I sat outside by the art room windows. I figured she would stay late and I'd walk her home afterwards. While she painted I sat on the grass and read. The windows were opened as I listened to the soft brushes of her paintbrush. I couldn't see what she was working on because of the angle but I knew it was important to her.

A few hours past and I noticed she was finally packing up to go so I stood up and walked inside the building to meet up with her. By the time I got close, I saw her laughing with Taehyung. I was too late. I came in second when it came to meeting her and now I'm second again. The way she looks at him, it's not the same with anyone else.

Namjoon, you already lost, I thought. Joining dance class and trying your best, maybe not all first loves have a happy ending.