Chapter 2: The Master

Seto eyed Yami in annoyance.  Five minutes had went by and Yami had said nothing, staring at the objects in the briefcase.

     Seto huffed and came closer to Yami, starting to grab the items.  Yami snatched them, lightning fast, just milimeters from Seto's fingers.  Seto raised an eyebrow.  Yami looked at him.  "My affairs with Pegasus are just that, mine."  Yami said in a rich baritone.

     "Be that as it may, I am not anyone's errand boy."  Seto clipped.

     "Really?"  Yami chuckled, tapping the case with an eyebrow raised.

     "Suit yourself."  Seto turned on his heel in disgust and left.  Yami chuckled even more, staring at the small stack of cards that might...just might...turn the tide against those pesky, rebellious...well, rebels.  After all, he was Master of the City.  His word was law.  Not theirs.  He had kept the peace for millenia...he was not going to stop now.

     He was supposed to be in control of all supernatural beings in his area. Sure, he controlled the werewolves, but there were more...so many more...wereanimals than wolves.  Yami always laughed at the popular movies that depicted werewolves as the only shapeshifters.  Seriously?  Was Hollywood that unimaginative that they could not think up wereleopards,  werebears, and werelions, (just to name a few) on their own?  Not to mention all the spellcasters and fairies that flittered about.

     Yami's ears perked up.  "Three...two...one..." and he smiled a self satisfied smile as Seto barged back in. 

     "Are you gonna tell me what those damn things are for?" Seto asked in annoyance, staring at Yami.

     Yami laughed agin.  "Fine, dear cousin, let me show you what Pegasus traded for protection of his people."  Setting out the cards, Seto looked unimpressed.  "Duel Monster cards?  Really?  You trade our protection for a few measley cards?" 

     "Oh, Seto...these are not mere cards..."

     The tone of Yami's voice sent cold chills down Seto's spine.  Seto smiled a cold, calculating smile.  "Do tell more..."

     ***************************

     "Yug, ya can't!"  Joey pleaded, anger and...was that fear?... in Joey's eyes.

     "What do you expect me to do Joey?  Sit back and watch my prowl be exterminated?  I am going and having an audience with Yami.  I am sure we can work out some sort of truce."  Yugi sighed, bags under his eyes.

     "Bullshit!"  Joey exploded.  "You know as well as me that... that...bloodsucker won't make any deal that doesn't have the advantages all for himself!"  Joey's face was red with rage.

     "Joey," Yugi said calmly.  "I am Alpha, and this is my decision.  You stay here and protect the prowl.  I will communicate with you telepathically of the decision.  I am tired, Joey."  Yugi sighed, the weight of the world clung to his shoulders.  "And I want what is best for the prowl."  And, with that, Yugi vanished into the night.