Chapter 7: The Meeting

Yami smiled slightly, steepling his fingers together in front of his face, elbows resting on the obsidian tabletop.  The meeting was going well.  The Vampire Lords were in no mood or position to oppose him.  The Districts were in order, revenue was good; they were mastering their own districts well.  And, he chuckled, he had his very own kitty cat.  He smirked as his eyes darted over to Yugi, who was standing behind him and off to the right, staring out the floor to ceiling plate glass window at the city below.

     "Master," one female vampire began, looking at Yami.  Yami's eyes slid over to her, his head incling ever so slightly, a signal of permission to speak.

     "There have been...reports...of Bakura's order attacking multiple districts.  But, the more troubling aspect..." the tall vampire with long blond hair stopped, unsure of how to proceed.

     "Yes, Mai?  Continue."  Yami got an uneasy feeling at this.

     "He..he is taking prisoners.  We don't know why, but we know that he has killed some, and taken some prisoner."

     Yami tensed at this, ever so slightly.  He also noticed that Yugi was now listening intently, though he tried to act like he wasn't.  Bakura had been a thorn in Yami's side up until the Great Battle, when Yami defeated Bakura and became Master.  Bakura had disappeared, licking his wounds, but Yami knew he would come back again.  The problem with Bakura was that he was devious,  ruthless, and devoid of any passion except that of gaining power for himself.

     Yami sighed, eyes closing.  "Are there any patterns to these killings and kidnappings?"

     "No, Sire."

     "I will take care of this.  We will meet in two weeks.  Report any more occurrences or new information to me."  The 10 other vampire lords nodded and left, chattering among themselves.  Only 1 was left sitting, looking at Yami.

     "Yes, Mai?"  Yami stated without opening his eyes.

     "Aren't you going to introduce me to your new friend?"  Mai smiled and stood, walking over to Yugi.  Yugi had to physically refrain from flinching as she reached out to touch his hair.  Yugi's eyes went wide as he saw Yami's hand on her wrist, inches from his hair...hell, inches from him in a split second.

     "Do. Not. Touch. My. Property."  Yami's eyes flared.  Mai chuckled.  "My, my...is that any way to treat your oldest Turned?"

     Yugi looked on with confusion tinged with anger.  He was nobody's property.  Mai noticed and smirked.  "Aw, did your lover not tell you we are old friends?  That he sired me before anyone, even the great Seto?"

     "I am not his lover.  I have more..."  But neither Mai nor Yami ever got to find out what more Yugi had as the door flew open.  Seto stood in the doorway.

     Yami raised an eyebrow.  "Making grand appearances much?" he asked with a smirk.

     "You.  Out."  Seto pointed at Mai, who raised an eyebrow in irritation. 

     Sensing that this train was about to crash in a fiery hell if not stopped, Yami touched Mai's wrist and nodded at the door.  Mai bowed her head and quickly left, but not before quipping as she left..."Always love the chats Seto."

     Seto ignored her and stared at Yami.  "We have a situation."

     Yami sat down, draping one leg over his chair.  "And that is?" he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, thoughts wandering back to Bakura.

     "Kisara is back."