Chapter 18: Watching

___________________

“Cal? Why did you ever like me?” I asked curiously.

“I dunno really. I guess it’s coz you’re really nice and cute and pretty and smart and we’ve known each other for a really long time.”

“I am none of those things.”

“Course you are! Stop looking down on yourself! If you’re not smart, then how did you skip a grade? And haven’t you heard What Makes You Beautiful? You’re insecure, don’t know for, you’re turning heads when you walk through the do-o-or… Or Little Things even? And I won’t let these little things slip out of my mouth, but if I do, it’s you, oh it’s you, they add up to, I’m in love with you and all your little things.”

I was melting into his beautiful voice, it was absolute heaven, sitting here and cuddling up to Calum while listening to him sing One Direction.

“Okay, you’ve made your point,” I sighed.

“As always,” Calum laughed superiorly and then gave me a kiss on the tip of my nose. "Oh yeah, mum wants to invite you over for dinner tomorrow."

"What?!" I pushed him away from me, my mouth forming a perfect 'o'.

"Don't worry, it's just dinner."

"Do you have any idea how scary it is? Oh shit what am I going to wear? Why didn't you tell me earlier? I need to go shopping!'

“Woah, it's not that bigger deal. Just breathe okay? Look if you want, I'll invite the guys over too so it won't be awkward."

"Ok then. Oh that was a scary moment."

Calum laughed. "You almost freaked over nothing." I shoved him lightly and then cuddled against him again. "Elaine? I think I love you.”

I had no time to respond because there was a loud screech of car brakes and someone yelling outside.

“I’M SO BORED! SOUNDCHECK’S STILL NOT ON FOR HOURS AND I’M SO BORED!” The door banged open and Ashton strolled in.

“DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO FUCKING RUIN THESE MOMENTS?” Calum yelled.

“Oh sorry lovebirds, but I’m sooo bored! Let’s go out and do something.”

“Why don’t we go and see a movie?” I suggested.

“Yeah okay! MIKEYYY! WE’RE SEEING A MOVIE.”

Calum and I jumped away from Ashton’s loud voice. The four of us got into Ashton’s car and picked up Luke on the way as well. I was squashed in the back between Luke and Calum, my thighs pressed against both of theirs. These sort of cliche scenarios had got to stop happening. At the rate I was going, my heart would soon beat out of its cage.

For some reason, I somehow managed to convince the guys to watch This Is Us with me. I’d seen the movie many times already but I could never get sick of that movie. I was so trying to process the fact that I’d met them in person a couple weeks ago.

“Um… I’ll go and get the tickets for us,” Luke said.

“Thanks,” I smiled up at him.

Over the months during the tour, he’d grown a lot and I had to crane my neck even more to look at him. The top of my head was about level with his chin. He walked off to the ticket line and Calum and Michael offered to go and buy food, leaving Ashton and me.

“I’m going to sound like a girl now, but how is it going between you and Calum?”

“I don’t know. Every single time we have a moment you seem to coming barging in,” I retorted.