Chapter 8

With the help of Marcus's minions we were out of there only minutes after and where I would ordinarily return to my tiny appartment just above stairs I was instead heading towards Marcus secreted lodgings away from the city. We travelled on foot using our natural vampire speeds. I never felt my choice to go bloodless offer me so much disadvantage before. I was starting to slow down and to puff out hard breaths and that in it self was an oddity. I am afterall very much dead and hence have no need for an actual breath.

"You are weaker then I thought," said  Marcus.

Why did he have to repeat the obvious? "Yes," was all I said. Short and abrupt was all I could manage. I've had the longest day of my existance. From the death of my father to my agreeing to be a mate. There was only a couple of hours of darkness left. I will need to get the acceptance done soon.

Unlike legends I am not required to shun the sun. At least not entirely. We are at our weakest in daylight. You could even say we are almost human then. We are uninclined to drink blood in the daylight as our cravings are at its lowest. Most younglings simply drop dead in the literal sense during daylight ours and awake refreshed and hungry for blood as soon as the sun sets.

But Marcus was old, almost as old as me. I knew he would remain up in daylight and lookout for me is the acceptance went overtime. By the looks of things it likely would.

Soon we were gliding through the gates to Marcus's mansion. It was an old stone built moseleum. I bet there was even dungeons beneath ground level complete with steel chain cuffs and the works. Silver did not work on us, that too were mere folktales blown out of proportion and propaganda'd extensively by hollywood.

"I'm thinking we should reverse the process. That we should mate first then you do the acceptance. As you know, the mating process will require an exchange of blood. My blood is old. You may take more then the mere taste that is required and in so doing you will compensate  some of the afteraffects of your lack of blood consumption over this last century. It will help you overcome the draining of the acceptance process and help you survive."

We had by now reached what must be Marcus's chamber. He gave a sharp nod to his minions and they dissapeared leaving me alone with him.

"Your offer to mate first makes sense," I say pragmatically," but I have not fed in too long. What makes you so sure I would stop feeding at all once I've a taste of your blood. Perhaps you should call your minions back to watch over us and stop things from getting out of hand."

"I can handle you. Your craving for me and my blood I can handle with one hand tied behind me," he states arrogantly with a glint of hunour in his eyes.

I merely nod in reply. Either way it was his funeral.

"I've not had sex with another anyone for as long as I've refrained from blood," I say instead wanting to be clear over what he was getting into.

"I am well aware of that," he said closing in the distance between us. "I am also aware that you are still a virgin."

At that my head shot up and I noted the black swirls in his eyes only intensifed to appear darker, deeper with a shadow of red reflecting within its depths.

"Yes. I am," was all I said in reply.