Chapter 20

I looked at Brian and he looked the same as he did when I last saw him over a centuries ago. Only his hair was now cut fashionably short but he was still handsome and enigmatic.

"You haven't changed, " Brian said to me. I guess he was right I even kept my hair boy cut short as I did back then when he last saw me. At that time boys kept their hair short but men kept them long. My frame was too slight to pass off as anything other than a boy in his teens. It had been an advantage for me.

"Why are you here? " I repeated. 

"It was the bond. It pulled me to you when you mated and took on your new powers," he said simply leaving a lot still left unsaid.

"I understand, " I said and I sort of did. The acceptance would have changed him as it did me. He might have new powers as do I. I closed my eyes and shamelessly invaded his personal space using only my chi. I felt his rage, his jealousy towards my mate and shockingly his lust for me. I opened my inner sight and looked into him a whirl of darkness swirled about him. He was  a servant to the dark Lord as was I. The dark lords mark was unmistakably upon him.

"You serve him as do I," I said. His nod was an unhappy one. Once again my actions had unwittingly affected his whole existence spinning out a new twist to his purpose, a new meaning for his life, and again one he will not be happy with.

"I will not be anyone's pawn," he stated matter of factly.

Too late for that he already was literally a pawn. My pawn to be precise.  I knew that he knew it too. It was what brought him here and it was what'll make him stay.

"We need to get going and you need to feed more," Marcus interrupted Brian's and my scrutiny of each other.

"I've already fed," I said insistantly. I had afterall just feasted on Marcus while he drained a human girl.

"That was not enough and you know it. What we are about to face is going to take all you have," Marcus said.

"I cannot drain you anymore, " I said adamantly and a sense of jealously hit me like a tidle wave. I knew instantly it was not my own.

"She can drink from me," exclaimed Brian surprising me by his offer and angering Marcus. I turned to meet his gaze and was surprised by the possessive glint in his eyes. My eyes dropped to his throat and I knew I would do it. I would drink from him. My canines elongated in anticipation. 

I moved swifly ignoring Marcus cry to deny me and stepped into Brian's outstretched arms to clutch him close as I let my canines slip beneath his skin and flesh to tap into his carotids

Then I drew in the rich broth that was his blood.